Interleukin-16 polymorphisms as new promising biomarkers for risk of gastric cancer
Gastric cancer (GC) is the second cause of cancer-related death worldwide. Interleukin (IL)-16 has a vital role in the development and homeostasis of the immune system. In the present study, we evaluated an exon variant rs4072111 C/T polymorphism and 3′ UTR variant rs1131445 C/T within the miRNA binding with gastric cancer susceptibility in Iranian population. Genomic DNA was isolated from peripheral blood samples according to phenol chloroform extraction. The genotypes of IL-16 polymorphisms rs1131445 T/C and rs4072111 T/C were determined by polymerase chain reaction-restriction fragment length polymorphism method. In this case control study, a total of 256 patients with gastric cancer (238 cases (92.9 %) non-cardia and 18 cases (7.1 %) cardia) and 300 healthy control subjects were evaluated. In the present study, we found a significant association between rs4072111 of IL-16 gene and risk of GC in Iranian population. Individuals with CT genotype showed a significant association with 1.79-fold increased risk of GC (P = 0.008; adjusted OR 1.792; 95 % CI 1.164–2.759). The significant association was also detected for T allele of rs4072111 and increased risk of GC (P < 0.001; adjusted OR 1.981; 95 % CI 1.354–2.900). We also observed statistically a significant relationship between rs1131445 of IL-16 CT genotype and GC risk. Carriers of IL-16 CT genotype compared with TT genotype had 1.44 times higher increased likelihood of GC (P = 0.048; adjusted OR 1.445; 95 % CI 1.003–2.084). After stratification according to gender, we observed that in rs1131445, CT and CC male carriers had a higher risk of GC than females (P = 0.08; adjusted OR 1.608; 95 % CI 0.945–2.737 and P = 0.08; adjusted OR 2.186; 95 % CI 0.897–5.325, respectively). We also observed that for male carriers with C allele in rs1131445, there was a 1.53-fold higher risk of GC risk than female subjects (P = 0.029; adjusted OR 1.53; 95 % CI 1.04.4–2.248). We found that the rs1131445 T/C and rs4072111 T/C variants of IL-16 were significantly associated with increased risk of GC in Iranian population.
KeywordsGastric cancer IL-16 Polymorphism
We thank all patients and their families who supported us in this study.
Conflicts of interest
- 1.Ly QP, Sasson AR. Modern surgical considerations for gastric cancer. J Natl Compr Cancer Netw. 2008;6(9):885–94.Google Scholar
- 6.Ychou M, Boige V, Pignon JP, Conroy T, Bouche O, Lebreton G, et al. Perioperative chemotherapy compared with surgery alone for resectable gastroesophageal adenocarcinoma: an FNCLCC and FFCD multicenter phase III trial. J Clin Oncol. 2011;29(13):1715–21. doi: 10.1200/jco.2010.33.0597.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 12.Romani S, Hosseini SM, Mohebbi SR, Kazemian S, Derakhshani S, Khanyaghma M et al. Interleukin-16 gene polymorphisms are considerable host genetic factors for patients’ susceptibility to chronic hepatitis B infection. 2014; 2014:790753. doi: 10.1155/2014/790753.
- 13.Center DM, Cruikshank W. Modulation of lymphocyte migration by human lymphokines. I. Identification and characterization of chemoattractant activity for lymphocytes from mitogen-stimulated mononuclear cells. J Immunol (Baltimore, Md: 1950). 1982;128(6):2563–8.Google Scholar
- 14.Yellapa A, Bahr JM, Bitterman P, Abramowicz JS, Edassery SL, Penumatsa K, et al. Association of interleukin 16 with the development of ovarian tumor and tumor-associated neoangiogenesis in laying hen model of spontaneous ovarian cancer. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2012;22(2):199–207. doi: 10.1097/IGC.0b013e318236a27b.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 35.Speetjens FM, Kuppen PJ, Sandel MH, Menon AG, Burg D, van de Velde CJ, et al. Disrupted expression of CXCL5 in colorectal cancer is associated with rapid tumor formation in rats and poor prognosis in patients. Clin Cancer Res. 2008;14(8):2276–84. doi: 10.1158/1078-0432.ccr-07-4045.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 38.Laberge S, Cruikshank WW, Kornfeld H, Center DM. Histamine-induced secretion of lymphocyte chemoattractant factor from CD8+ T cells is independent of transcription and translation. Evidence for constitutive protein synthesis and storage. J Immunol (Baltimore, Md : 1950). 1995;155(6):2902–10.Google Scholar
- 40.Rumsaeng V, Cruikshank WW, Foster B, Prussin C, Kirshenbaum AS, Davis TA, et al. Human mast cells produce the CD4+ T lymphocyte chemoattractant factor, IL-16. J Immunol (Baltimore, Md : 1950). 1997;159(6):2904–10.Google Scholar
- 55.Beuselinck B, Karadimou A, Lambrechts D, Claes B, Wolter P, Couchy G, et al. VEGFR1 single nucleotide polymorphisms associated with outcome in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma treated with sunitinib—a multicentric retrospective analysis. Acta Oncol. 2014;53(1):103–12.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 59.Zhang B, Wang A, Xia C, Lin Q, Chen C. A single nucleotide polymorphism in primary-microRNA-146a reduces the expression of mature microRNA-146a in patients with Alzheimer’s disease and is associated with the pathogenesis of Alzheimer’s disease. Mol Med Rep. 2015;12(3):4037–42.PubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar