PP2A inhibition as a novel therapeutic target in castration-resistant prostate cancer
- 267 Downloads
Protein phosphatase 2A (PP2A) is a well-known tumor suppressor frequently inhibited in human cancer. Alterations affecting PP2A subunits together with the deregulation of endogenous PP2A inhibitors such as CIP2A and SET have been described as contributing mechanisms to inactivate PP2A in prostate cancer. Moreover, recent findings highlight that functional inactivation of PP2A could represent a key event in the acquisition of castration-resistant phenotype and a novel molecular target with high impact at both clinical and therapeutic levels in prostate cancer.
KeywordsPP2A FTY720 Cabazitaxel Castration-resistant prostate cancer
This study is supported by the Biobank of “Fundación Jiménez Díaz” (FJD Biobank) (RD12/0036/0021), and PI12/01552 and PI13/02609 grants from “Instituto de Salud Carlos III FEDER” and S2010/BMD2344. R. Manso and P. González-Alonso are supported by “Fundación Conchita Rábago de Jiménez Díaz”.
Conflicts of interest
- 2.Wyatt AW, Gleave ME. Targeting the adaptive molecular landscape of castration-resistant prostate cancer. EMBO Mol Med 2015; In press.Google Scholar
- 3.Huang PH, Wang D, Chuang HC, Wei S, Kulp SK, Chen CS. alpha-Tocopheryl succinate and derivatives mediate the transcriptional repression of androgen receptor in prostate cancer cells by targeting the PP2A-JNK-Sp1-signaling axis. Carcinogenesis. 2009;30:1125–31.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 6.Khanna A, Rane JK, Kivinummi KK, Urbanucci A, Helenius MA, Tolonen TT, et al. CIP2A is a candidate therapeutic target in clinically challenging prostate cancer cell populations. Oncotarget. 2015; In press.Google Scholar
- 8.Pallai R, Bhaskar A, Barnett-Bernodat N, Gallo-Ebert C, Pusey M, Nickels JT Jr, et al. Leucine-rich repeat-containing protein 59 mediates nuclear import of cancerous inhibitor of PP2A in prostate cancer cells. Tumour Biol 2015; In press.Google Scholar
- 9.Pallai R, Bhaskar A, Barnett-Bernodat N, Gallo-Ebert C, Nickels JT Jr, Rice LM. Cancerous inhibitor of protein phosphatase 2A promotes premature chromosome segregation and aneuploidy in prostate cancer cells through association with shugoshin. Tumour Biol 2015; In press.Google Scholar
- 11.Bhardwaj A, Singh S, Srivastava SK, Arora S, Hyde SJ, Andrews J, et al. Restoration of PPP2CA expression reverses epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition and suppresses prostate tumour growth and metastasis in an orthotopic mouse model. Br J Cancer. 2014;110:2000–10.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar