Association between polymorphisms in long non-coding RNA PRNCR1 in 8q24 and risk of gastric cancer
- 354 Downloads
A long ncRNA (lncRNA) prostate cancer non-coding RNA 1 (PRNCR1) in the 8q24 has been reported to be upregulated in prostate cancer with a function of activating androgen receptor (AR). AR plays a key role in the gender disparity, cell migration, and invasion of gastric cancer (GC). We hypothesized that single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) in the lncRNA PRNCR1 may be related to the risk of GC. We conducted a case-control study to investigate the association between SNPs in the lncRNA PRNCR1 and the risk of GC. Polymerase chain reaction–restriction fragment length polymorphism (PCR-RFLP) assay was used to determine the genotypes of 613 subjects including 219 cases with GC and 394 controls. We found that patients with the rs13252298AG genotype displayed a 1.50-fold increased risk of GC (AG vs. AA, 95 % confidence interval (CI) = 1.05–2.12, p = 0.02). Interestingly, the rs7007694CT and CC and the rs1456315GG genotypes displayed a decreased risk of GC (rs7007694CT vs. TT, odds ratio (OR) = 0.68, 95 % CI = 0.48–0.97, p = 0.03; rs7007694CC vs. TT, OR = 0.36, 95 % CI = 0.13–0.97, p = 0.04; rs1456315GG vs. AA, OR = 0.30, 95 % CI = 0.13–0.70, p = 0.004, respectively). Our results suggest that SNPs in the lncRNA PRNCR1 may be a biomarker for the etiology of GC.
KeywordsGastric cancer lncRNAs Polymorphism
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (no. 81302149 and 81202387), Distinguished Young Scientist of Sichuan University (no. 2013SCU04A38), the Science and Technology Pillar Program of Sichuan Province (2014KJT059-2014SZ0001), and the PhD Programs Foundation of the Ministry of Education of China (no. 20130181120011).
Conflicts of interest
- 3.Lee HJ, Yang HK, Ahn YO. Gastric cancer in Korea. Gastr Cancer Off J Int Gastr Cancer Assoc Japan Gastr Cancer Assoc. 2002;5:177–82.Google Scholar
- 14.Wu CW, Chi CW, Chang TJ, Lui WY, P'Eng FK. Sex hormone receptors in gastric cancer. Cancer-Am Cancer Soc. 1990;65:1396–400.Google Scholar
- 21.Li LJ, Sun RF, Liang YD, Pan XM, Li ZH, Bai P, Zeng XF, Zhang DX, Zhang L, and Gao LB. Association between polymorphisms in long non-coding RNA PRNCR1 in 8q24 and risk of colorectal cancer. J Exp Clin Canc Res. 2013;32.Google Scholar
- 25.Costa FF. Non-coding RNAs: Meet thy masters. BioEssays: news and reviews in molecular, cellular and developmental biology. 2010;32:599–608Google Scholar
- 36.Zhang BG, Du T, Zang MD, Chang Q, Fan ZY, Li JF, et al. Androgen receptor promotes gastric cancer cell migration and invasion via AKT-phosphorylation dependent upregulation of matrix metalloproteinase 9. Oncotarget. 2014Google Scholar