Up-regulation of annexin A2 expression predicates advanced clinicopathological features and poor prognosis in hepatocellular carcinoma
- 224 Downloads
Hepatic annexin A2 (ANXA2) orchestrates multiple biologic processes and clinical symptoms and plays a key role in development, metastasis, and drug resistance of lethal hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC). However, the prognostic significance of ANXA2 for HCC has not been elucidated up to now. In this study, ANXA2 was frequently found to be up-regulated in HCC tissues compared with benign liver disease (BLD) tissues, which was consistent with the results in serum samples and tissue specimens of patients with HCC. Furthermore, ANXA2 expression was significantly correlated with differentiated degree, intrahepatic metastasis, portal vein thrombus, and tumor node metastasis (TNM) staging. More importantly, increased ANXA2 level was first confirmed to be closely associated with shortened overall survival of HCC (χ 2 = 12.872, P = 0.005) and identified as an independent prognostic factor (hazard ratio 1.338, 95 % confidence interval (CI) 1.013 ~ 1.766, P = 0.040), suggesting that ANXA2 up-regulation might represent an acquired metastasis phenotype of HCC, help to screen out high-risk population for HCC, or more effectively treat a subset of postsurgical HCC patients positive for ANXA2.
KeywordsAnnexin A2 Up-regulation Prognosis Hepatocellular carcinoma
Benign liver diseases
Enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay
Quantitative real-time polymerase chain reaction
Tissue plasminogen activator
This study was supported by grants from the National Natural Science Foundation of China (81401988), the Academic Program Development of Jiangsu Higher Education Institution (PAPD), and the International S&T Cooperation Program of China (2013DFA32150).
Conflicts of interest
- 7.Chaiteerakij R, Addissie BD and Roberts LR. Update on biomarkers of hepatocellular carcinoma. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2013.Google Scholar
- 23.Ministry of Health of the People’s Republic of C. Updated standards for the diagnosis and treatment of primary liver cancer. Zhonghua Gan Zang Bing Za Zhi. 2012;20(6):419–26.Google Scholar
- 24.o Y. [Management of clinical diagnosis, and antiviral therapy for HBV-related cirrhosis]. Zhonghua Gan Zang Bing Za Zhi. 2014;22(5):327-335.Google Scholar
- 42.Ma RL, Shen LY and Chen KN. Coexpression of ANXA2, SOD2 and HOXA13 predicts poor prognosis of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Oncol Rep. 2014;PMID: 24626613.Google Scholar
- 45.Alonso-Alconada L, Santacana M, Garcia-Sanz P, Muinelo-Romay L, Colas E, Mirantes C, Monge M, Cueva J, Oliva E, Soslow RA, Lopez MA, Palacios J, Prat J, Valls J, Krakstad C, Salvesen H, Gil-Moreno A, Lopez-Lopez R, Dolcet X, Moreno-Bueno G, Reventos J, Matias-Guiu X and Abal M. Annexin-A2 as predictor biomarker of recurrent disease in endometrial cancer. Int J Cancer. 2014;PMID: 25219463.Google Scholar