High serum miR-183 level is associated with poor responsiveness of renal cancer to natural killer cells
- 175 Downloads
Renal cell carcinoma (RCC) is among the most common subtype of kidney cancers, and the current therapeutic strategies are not efficient. Natural killer (NK) cells are biological agents that can induce apoptosis in a wide range of cancer cells. However, most of RCC patients exhibit resistance against the action of NK cells due to unknown mechanisms. This study is aimed to identify a biomarker that can predict the response of RCC cells to NK cell treatment. We collected 82 RCC patients and 19 healthy volunteers to detect the expression of miR-183 in blood by qPCR assays. The results revealed that serum miR-183 is significantly higher in RCC patients than in healthy controls, and its level is positively associated with the grading of RCC. Furthermore, 51Cr release assays indicated that the primary RCC cells with low serum miR-183 expression are more sensitive to the cytotoxicity of NK cells. Collectively, we demonstrated that serum miR-183 can be used to predict the response of RCC cells to the cytotoxicity induced by NK cells.
KeywordsRCC miR-183 NK Immunotherapy
- 3.Wittig B, Marten A, Dorbic T, Weineck S, Min H, Niemitz S, et al. Therapeutic vaccination against metastatic carcinoma by expression-modulated and immunomodified autologous tumor cells: a first clinical phase I/II trial. Hum Gene Ther. 2001;12(3):267–78. doi: 10.1089/10430340150218404.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 8.Specht HM, Ahrens N, Blankenstein C, Duell T, Fietkau R, Gaipl US, et al. Heat shock protein 70 (Hsp70) peptide activated natural killer (NK) cells for the treatment of patients with non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) after radiochemotherapy (RCTx)—from preclinical studies to a clinical phase II trial. Front Immunol. 2015;6:162. doi: 10.3389/fimmu.2015.00162.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 9.Jakel CE, Vogt A, Gonzalez-Carmona MA, Schmidt-Wolf IG. Clinical studies applying cytokine-induced killer cells for the treatment of gastrointestinal tumors. J Immunol Res. 2014;2014:897214. doi: 10.1155/2014/897214.
- 12.Escudier B, Farace F, Angevin E, Charpentier F, Nitenberg G, Triebel F, et al. Immunotherapy with interleukin-2 (IL2) and lymphokine-activated natural killer cells: improvement of clinical responses in metastatic renal cell carcinoma patients previously treated with IL2. Eur J Cancer. 1994;30A(8):1078–83.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 20.Torres-Martin M, Lassaletta L, de Campos JM, Isla A, Gavilan J, Pinto GR, et al. Global profiling in vestibular schwannomas shows critical deregulation of microRNAs and upregulation in those included in chromosomal region 14q32. PLoS One. 2013;8(6):e65868. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0065868.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar