ERCC1 and the efficacy of cisplatin in patients with resected non-small cell lung cancer
- 194 Downloads
Excision repair cross-complementing gene 1 (ERCC1) protein is proposed as a predictor for cisplatin efficacy in patients with non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC). However, recent studies declare that ERCC1 is not associated with the response of platinum-based chemotherapy or clinical outcomes. The purpose of this study is to assess whether ERCC1 expression level is linked to cisplatin sensitivity and clinical outcomes in resected NSCLC patients. Paraffin-embedded cancer samples from 112 patients were used for immunohistochemical staining. Cancer cells isolated from fresh tumor tissues were used to determine the sensitivity to cisplatin by MTT assay. The association between ERCC1 expression and cisplatin sensitivity was tested by Spearman’s rho test. The correlation of ERCC1 expression with clinicopathologic parameters was evaluated by the chi-square tests. The relationship between variables and survival was assessed by log-rank test. Overall survival (OS) and disease-free survival (DFS) curves were plotted by the Kaplan–Meier method. Cox proportional hazards model was used for multivariate analysis of survival. ERCC1 expression was significantly correlated with the sensitivity of cisplatin in vitro (p < 0.01, r = 0.37). ERCC1 was not associated with OS (p = 0.17) or DFS (p = 0.13) in patients with resected NSCLC. ERCC1 is not a sensible marker for the choice of treatment in clinical patients with resected NSCLC.
KeywordsNon-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) Excision repair cross-complementing gene 1 (ERCC1) Survival Cisplatin
This study was supported by Harbin Medical University Cancer Hospital (Grant JJZ2011-02) and National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant 30772540).
Conflicts of interest
- 5.Saisho S, Yasuda K, Maeda A, Yukawa T, Okita R, Hirami Y, et al. Post-recurrence survival of patients with non-small-cell lung cancer after curative resection with or without induction/adjuvant chemotherapy. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2013;16(2):166–72.PubMedCentralPubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Arriagada R, Bergman B, Dunant A, Le Chevalier T, Pignon JP, Vansteenkiste J. International Adjuvant Lung Cancer Trial Collaborative G: cisplatin-based adjuvant chemotherapy in patients with completely resected non-small cell lung cancer. N Engl J Med. 2004;350(4):351–60.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Alam N, Shepherd FA, Winton T, Graham B, Johnson D, Livingston R, et al. Compliance with post-operative adjuvant chemotherapy in non-small cell lung cancer. An analysis of National Cancer Institute of Canada and intergroup trial JBR.10 and a review of the literature. Lung Cancer. 2005;47:385–94.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Tantraworasin A, Saeteng S, Lertprasertsuke N, Arayawudhikul N, Kasemsarn C, Patumanond J. The prognostic value of ERCC1 and RRM1 gene expression in completely resected non-small cell lung cancer: tumor recurrence and overall survival. Cancer Manag Res. 2013;5:327–36.PubMedCentralPubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 19.Zhou W, Gurubhagavatula S, Liu G, Park S, Neuberg DS, Wain JC, et al. Excision repair cross-complementation group 1 polymorphism predicts overall survival in advanced non-small cell lung cancer patients treated with platinum-based chemotherapy. Clin Cancer Res. 2004;10:4939–43.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 20.Kelly K, Crowley J, Bunn Jr PA, Presant CA, Grevstad PK, Moinpour CM, et al. Randomized phase III trial of paclitaxel plus carboplatin versus vinorelbine plus cisplatin in the treatment of patients with advanced non–small-cell lung cancer: a Southwest Oncology Group trial. J Clin Oncol. 2001;19:3210–8.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 22.Fossella F, Pereira JR, von Pawel J, Pluzanska A, Gorbounova V, Kaukel E, et al. Randomized, multinational, phase III study of docetaxel plus platinum combinations versus vinorelbine plus cisplatin for advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: the TAX 326 study group. J Clin Oncol. 2003;21:1–9.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 31.Vassalou H, Stathopoulos E, Fiolitaki G, Koutsopoulos A, Voutsina A, Georgoulias V, et al. Excision-repair-cross-complement-1 protein as a prognostic factor in patients with advanced non-small cell lung cancer treated with platinum-based first-line chemotherapy. Lung Cancer. 2013;82:324–9.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 36.Toffart AC, Timsit JF, Couraud S, Merle P, Moro-Sibilot D, Perol M, et al. Immunohistochemistry evaluation of biomarker expression in non-small cell lung cancer (Pharmacogenoscan study). Lung Cancer. 2013 Dec 21.Google Scholar