Mitochondrial DNA haplogroup N is associated good outcome of gastric cancer
- 157 Downloads
Accumulation of mutations and single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) in the displacement loop (D-loop) of mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) has been identified for their association with cancer risk and disease outcome in a variety of cancers. We have identified cancer risk-associated D-loop SNPs in gastric cancer patients. In this study, we evaluated the predictive value of these SNPs for cancer outcome. Two SNP sites of nucleotides 489C/T and 523–524AC/del were identified for statistically significant prediction of postoperative survival in gastric cancer by univariate analysis with log-rank test. In addition, the mitochondrial DNA haplogroup N (489T) contributed to the good survival of gastric cancer patients compared with the mitochondrial DNA haplogroup M (489C) genotype (relative risk, 1.753; 95 %CI, 1.005–3.060; p = 0.048) by multivariate analysis with COX hazards model. In conclusion, analysis of genetic polymorphisms in the mitochondrial D-loop can help identify subgroups of patients who are at a high risk of a poor disease outcome.
KeywordsSNPs D-loop mtDNA Gastric cancer Outcome
This work was supported by Key Basic Research Program of Hebei (14967713D).
Conflicts of interest
All authors disclose any financial, consulting, and personal relationships with other people or organizations that could influence their work.
- 6.Kim T, Kim HH, Joo H. Mitochondrial DNA mutation and oxidative stress. Interdiscip Bio Central. 2011;3:1–8.Google Scholar
- 13.Gao Y, Zhao G, Diao L, Guo Z, et al. Identification of sequence polymorphisms in the D-Loop region of mitochondrial DNA as a risk factor for non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Mitochondrial DNA. 2013;1–3.Google Scholar
- 17.Wang H, Wang Y, Zhao Q, Guo Z, Zhang F, Zhao Y, et al. Identification of sequence polymorphisms in the D-Loop region of mitochondrial DNA as a risk factor for gastric cancer. Mitochondrial DNA. 2014.Google Scholar
- 19.Hofmann M, Stoss O, Shi D, Büttner R, van de Vijver M, Kim W, et al. Assessment of a HER2 scoring system for gastric cancer: results from a validation study. Histology. 2008;52:797–805.Google Scholar
- 24.Cheng M, Guo Z, Li H, Li C, Geng C. Identification of sequence polymorphisms in the mitochondrial displacement loop as risk factors for sporadic and familial breast cancer. Tumour Biol. 2014;1–5.Google Scholar
- 29.Diao L, Wei G, Su H, Li H, Song J, Gao Y, et al. Sequence polymorphisms in the D-loop region of mitochondrial DNA and outcome of non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Mitochondrial DNA. 2013;1–4.Google Scholar