Krüppel-like factor 5 as potential molecular marker in cervical cancer and the KLF family profile expression
- 470 Downloads
Cervical cancer (CC) as other cancer types, presents molecular deregulations, such as the alterations of transcription factors. Krüppel-like factors (KLF) are a family of transcriptional regulators. They are involved in diverse cellular processes, such as proliferation, apoptosis, and angiogenesis among others. Here, we analyzed the expression of all 17 KLF members at messenger RNA (mRNA) level, and protein expression of the two most commonly altered KLF5 and KLF6 in cervical tissues. Fifty-nine cervical tissues ranging from normal tissue to CC were evaluated for KLF1–17 mRNA expression by end-point RT-PCR and KLF5 by qRT-PCR. For KLF5 and KLF6 protein analysis, a tissue microarray was constructed containing the 59 cases and subjected for immunohistochemistry assay and KLF6 IVS1-27G>A single nucleotide polymorphism by direct DNA sequencing. KLF2–16 expressions were present in normal tissue, whereas all 17 were present in Low-Grade Squamous Intraepithelial Lesion, High-Grade-SIL and CC, unrelated to presence of human papillomavirus (HPV). KLF5 mRNA expression gradually increased throughout the subgroups and overexpressed in CC (p = 0.01). KLF5 and KLF6 proteins were immunodetected in all samples. For the KLF6 SNP analysis, 80 % of the CC population analyzed presented GG genotype and the remaining 20 % presented GA genotype (p = 0.491). Our present data show that KLFs expression could not be related to HPV presence, at least at transcriptional level, and KLF5 mRNA overexpression could represent a potential molecular marker for CC; KLF6 SNP has no relation to increased risk of CC.
KeywordsKrüppel-like factors Cervical cancer Molecular marker Isoforms SNP
We would like to thank Universidad Autónoma de Ciudad Juárez for partial support. During this work, the authors DMR, KTP, PRM, MMR and MRE were recipients of a Consejo Nacional de Ciencia y Tecnologia fellowship. This work was a partial fulfillment by DMR for Ph. D. degree at UACJ.
This work was partially supported by grant 202222 from Fondos Sectoriales Consejo Nacional de Ciencia y Tecnologia-Mexico.
Conflicts of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
All authors have approved the final version of this manuscript.
- 6.Lahiri K, Zhao J. Krüppel-like factor 8 emerges as an important regulator of cancer. Am J Transl Res. 2012;3:357–63.Google Scholar
- 41.Lomberk G, Mathison A, Grzenda A, Seo S, DeMars C, Rizvi S, et al. Sequence-specific recruitment of heterochromatin protein 1 via interaction with Krüppel-like Factor 11, a human transcription factor involved in tumor suppression and metabolic diseases. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:13026–39.PubMedCentralPubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 42.Daftary G, Lomberk G, Buttar N, Allen T, Grzenda A, Zhang J, et al. Detailed structural-functional analysis of the Kruppel-like Factor 16 (KLF16) transcription factor reveals novel mechanisms for silencing Sp/KLF sites involved in metabolism and endocrinology. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:7010–25.PubMedCentralPubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar