Resveratrol induces human K562 cell apoptosis, erythroid differentiation, and autophagy
- 704 Downloads
Resveratrol (Res) is a naturally occurring phytoalexin with apoptotic and inducing-glob effects in leukemic cells, but the potential induction of erythroid differentiation in cells is not fully understood. Here, we investigated the effects of Res on human erythro-megakaryoblastic leukemia cell line K562. Among the treated cells, proliferation was inhibited and the occurrence of cell apoptosis and cell death were detected. Erythroid differentiation assay was explored, and we found that Res could increase the expression of glycophorin A (GPA), HBA1, HBB, and γ-globin genes and enforced the expression of GPA, CD71, and Band3 proteins. Res also induced K562 cell autophagy when the concentration of Res was increased up to 50 or 100 μM. Our findings suggested that Res possesses the potency not only inducing apoptosis but also inducing erythroid differentiation and autophagy in K562 cells. These results provide that Res may be a therapeutic candidate for chronic myelogenous leukemia treatment.
KeywordsResveratrol K562 cells Apoptosis Erythroid differentiation Autophagy
The authors thank the financial support from the National Natural Science Foundation of China (grant nos.81270576 and 81372538), New Century Excellent Talents in University (NCET-11-0518), Doctoral fund of the Ministry of Education of China (no. 20120162110054), the Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities (no. 2011JQ015), Open Project of Xinjiang Key Laboratory of Biological Resources and Genetic Engineering (XJDX0201_2012_07 and XJDX_0201_2012_09), and the Innovation Experiment Program for Graduate Students of the Central South University (nos. YB13027, CY12363, and CY12364).
Conflicts of interest
- 2.Lazzio CB, Lazzio BB. Human chronic myelogenous leukemia cell line with positive Philadelphia chromosome. Blood. 1975;45:321–34.Google Scholar
- 4.Melo JV. The molecular biology of chronic myeloid leukaemia. Leuk Off J Leuk Soc Am Leuk Res Fund UK. 1996;10:751–6.Google Scholar
- 10.Sutherland JA, Turner AR, Mannoni P, McGann LE, Turc JM. Differentiation of K562 leukemia cell along eryhroid, macrophage, and megakaryocyte lineage. J Biol Respir Mod. 1986;5:25–62.Google Scholar
- 20.Pozo-Guisado E, Alvarez-Barrientos A, Mulero-Navarro S, Santiago-Josefat B, Fernandez-Salguero PM. The anti- proliferative activity of resveratrol results in apoptosis in MCF-7 but not in MDA-MB-231 human breast cancer cells: cell-specific alteration of the cell cycle. Biochem Pharmacol. 2012;13:1375–86.Google Scholar
- 29.Santos Franco S, De Falco L, Ghaffari S, Brugnara C, Sinclair DA, Mattè A, Iolascon A, Mohandas N, Bertoldi M, An X, Siciliano A, Rimmelé P, Cappellini MD, Michan S, Zoratti E, Janin A, De Franceschi L. Resveratrol accelerates erythroid maturation by activation of FOXO3 and ameliorates anemia in beta-thalassemic mice. Haematologica 2014; (in press)Google Scholar