Association between a functional insertion/deletion polymorphism in IL1A gene and risk of papillary thyroid carcinoma
- 191 Downloads
The aim of this study was to evaluate whether an insertion/deletion polymorphism (rs3783553) locating in the miR-122 target gene IL1A 3′ untranslated region was related to the risk of papillary thyroid carcinoma (PTC). Genomic DNA was extracted from peripheral venous blood of 273 patients with PTC and 509 controls. The IL1A rs3783553 polymorphism was genotyped by using a polymerase chain reaction assay. No significant difference of the distribution of the IL1A rs3783553 polymorphism was observed between PTC patients and controls. However, patients carrying the IL1A rs3783553 ins/ins genotype and ins allele had significantly decreased risks for developing T3 and T4 when compared with patients carrying the IL1A rs3783553 del/del genotype and del allele (ins/ins vs. del/del: OR = 0.22, 95 % confidence interval (CI), 0.09–0.54; ins vs. del: OR = 0.58, 95 % CI, 0.41–0.83, respectively). These results suggest that the rs3783553 polymorphism may be used as a genetic marker to predict the size/extension of PTC.
KeywordsmiRNA Polymorphism IL1A Insertion/deletion Papillary thyroid carcinoma
This work was supported by grants from the Special Research Foundation of Doctoral Priority to the Development of Field Project (no. 20110181130013), National Natural Science Foundation of China (no. 81302149), Distinguished Young Scientist of Sichuan University (no. 2013SCU04A38), the Science & Technology Pillar Program of Sichuan Province (14ZC1838), and the Ph.D. Programs Foundation of Ministry of Education of China (no. 20130181120011).
Conflicts of interest
- 9.Landi D, Moreno V, Guino E, Vodicka P, Pardini B, Naccarati A, et al. Polymorphisms affecting micro-RNA regulation and associated with the risk of dietary-related cancers: a review from the literature and new evidence for a functional role of rs17281995 (CD86) and rs1051690 (INSR), previously associated with colorectal cancer. Mutat Res. 2011;717(1–2):109–15.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Li ZH, Pan X, Han BW, Guo XM, Zhang Z, Jia J, et al. A let-7 binding site polymorphism rs712 in the KRAS 3′ UTR is associated with an increased risk of gastric cancer. Tumour Biol. 2013;34(5):3159–63.Google Scholar
- 13.Zeng XF, Li J, Li SB. A functional polymorphism in IL-1A gene is associated with a reduced risk of gastric cancer. Tumour Biol. 2013;35(1):265–268Google Scholar
- 17.Reddi HV, Madde P, Milosevic D, Hackbarth JS, Algeciras-Schimnich A, McIver B, et al. The putative PAX8/PPARgamma fusion oncoprotein exhibits partial tumor suppressor activity through up-regulation of micro-RNA-122 and dominant-negative PPARgamma activity. Genes Cancer. 2011;2(1):46–55.PubMedCentralPubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.Reddi HV, Driscoll CB, Madde P, Milosevic D, Hurley RM, McDonough SJ, et al. Redifferentiation and induction of tumor suppressors miR-122 and miR-375 by the PAX8/PPARgamma fusion protein inhibits anaplastic thyroid cancer: a novel therapeutic strategy. Cancer Gene Ther. 2013;20(5):267–75.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar