Gene expression profiles analyzed by DNA sequencing of cDNA clones constructed from porcine preadipocytes and adipocytes
- 188 Downloads
As a step towards understanding the molecular mechanism of adipogenesis in pigs, preadipocytes purified from the back fat of 1 day-old female piglets were used for in vitro culture. Normalized cDNA libraries were constructed with 1.6×107 and 1.1×107 independent clones from preadipocyte and mature adipocyte mRNAs, respectively. Polymerase chain reaction (PCR) result using primers T3 and T7 (universal primer) confirmed the presence of the insert in the vector. Sequencing of 2,112 randomly selected clones from each cDNA library identified 217 clusters, 1,169 singletons, and 216 contigs in preadipocytes and 231 clusters, 1,100 singletons, and 233 contigs in mature adipocytes. Expressed sequence tag (EST) identified 24 genes with known annotation highly expressed in adipocytes and 21 in preadipocytes by at least four EST number. Among those 45 genes, when analyzed by real time RT-PCR, 76% of the gene showed significant difference between preadipocytes and mature adipocytes. Highly expressed genes in mature adipocytes were related to adipogenesis, extracellular matrix control and oncogenes, whereas cytoskeleton-related genes were down-regulated. An interesting similarity found during gene profile studies indicated a correlation between cancer and adipogenesis.
KeywordsPorcine EST Adipogenesis Gene expression cDNA library
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bourlier V, Zakaroff-Girard A, De Barros S, Pizzacalla C, de Saint Front VD, Lafontan M, Bouloumié A, and Galitzky J (2005) Protease inhibitor treatments reveal specific involvement of matrix metalloproteinase-9 in human adipocyte differentiation. J. Pharmacol. Exp. Ther. 312: 1272–1279.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Flake GP, Andersen J, and Dixon D (2003) Etiology and pathogenesis of uterine leiomyoma. A review. Environ. Health. Perspect. 11: 1037–1054.Google Scholar
- Kawaguchi N, Sundberg C, Kveiborg M, Moghadaszadeh B, Asmar M, Dietrich N, Thodeti CK, Nielsen FC, Moller P, Mercurio AM, et al. (2003) ADAM12 induces actin cytoskeleton and ex tracellular matrix reorganization during early adipocyte differentiation by regulating β1 intergrin function. J. Cell. Sci. 116: 3893–3904.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lee EJ, Bajracharya P, Jang EJ, Chang JS, Lee HJ, Hong SK, and Choi I (2010) Effect of sex steroid hormones on bovine myogenic satellite cell proliferation, differentiation and lipid accumulation in myotube. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 23: 649–658.Google Scholar
- Morita Y, Araki H, Sugimoto T, Takeuchi K, Yamane T, Maeda T, Yamamoto Y, Nishi K, Asano M, Shirahama-Noda K, et al. (2007) Legumain/asparaginyl endopeptidase controls extracellular matrix remodeling through the degradation of fibronectin in mouse renal proximal tubular cells. FEBS Lett. 581: 1417–1424.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Pajak B and Orzechowski A (2006) Clusterin: the missing link in the calcium-dependent resistance of cancer cells to apoptogenic stimuli. Postepy Hig. Med. Dosw. 60: 45–51.Google Scholar
- Van Roermund CW, Hettema EH, Kal AJ, Van den Berg M, Tabak HF, and Wanders RJ (1998) Peroxisomal betaoxidation of polyunsaturated fatty acids in Saccharomyces cerevisiae: isocitrate dehydrogenase provides NADPH for reduction of double bonds at even positions. EMBO J. 17: 677–687.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar