The 2012 Census of Agriculture: A Capture–Recapture Analysis
- 120 Downloads
The Census of Agriculture is conducted every 5 years, in years ending in 2 and 7. The Census list frame is incomplete, resulting in undercoverage. Not all operations on the list frame respond, and, based on the response, some misclassification occurs. In 2012, a capture–recapture analysis was conducted to adjust for undercoverage, nonresponse, and misclassification. This was the first time capture–recapture methods were used to produce official statistics for an establishment survey. The number of records on the Census Mailing List that were classified as farms was 1,382,099, and the published estimate of the number of farms was 2,109,303, a 34.5% adjustment. The adjustment was greatest for farms with low production levels and for specialty farms, both of which are difficult to identify and add to the list. The methods used are described. Challenges that arose in the implementation process are discussed. Areas for enhancement being targeted for the 2017 Census of Agriculture are highlighted. Supplementary materials accompanying this paper appear online.
The authors are thankful to the editor, associate editor and two referees. Their comments on the first draft of this paper led to a much improved article.
- Abreu, D.A., J.S. McCarthy, L.A. Colburn (2010). Impact of the Screening Procedures of the June Area Survey on the Number of Farms Estimates. Research and Development Division. RDD Research Report Number RDD-10-03. Washington, DC: USDA, National Agricultural Statistics Service.Google Scholar
- —— (1994) Analysis of sample based capture-recapture experiments. Journal of Official Statistics, 10, 245–256.Google Scholar
- Armstrup, Steven C., Trent L. McDonald, and Bryan F.J. Manly (eds) (2005) Handbook of Capture- Recapture Analysis. Princeton University Press: Princeton, NJ.Google Scholar
- Braeye, Toon, Jan Verheagen, Annick Mignon, Wim Flipse, Denis Pierard, Kris Huygen, Carole Schirvel, and Niel Hens (2016) Capture-recapture estimators in epidemiology with applications to pertussis and pneumococcal invasive disease surveillance. PLOS One. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0159832.
- Cotter, J. Davies, C., Nealon, J., & Roberts R. (2010). Area Frame Design for Agricultural Surveys. In Agricultural Survey Methods (eds R. Benedetti, M. Bee, G. Espa and F. Piersimoni), John Wiley & Sons, Ltd, Chichester, UK, doi: 10.1002/9780470665480.ch11
- Elkin, Meghan, Pamela Dent, and Nargis Rahman (2012). Beyond 2011: A review of international approaches to estimating and adjusting for under- and over-coverage. Office of National Statistics. Available from http://www.ons.gov.uk
- Fetter, Matthew J. (2009) An overview of coverage adjustment for the 2007 Census of Agriculture. Proceedings of the Government Statistics Section, JSM 2009. pp. 3228–3236.Google Scholar
- Garber, Samuel Chad (2009) Census Mail List Trimming using SAS Data Mining. Research and Development Division. RDD Report Number RDD-09-02. Washington, DC: USDA, National Agricultural Statistics Service.Google Scholar
- Grau, Eric, Frank Potter, Steve Williams, and Nuria Diaz-Tena. (2006) Nonresponse adjustment using logistic regression: to weight or not to weight. Proceedings of the 2006 Joint Statistical Meetings, ASA Section on Survey Research Methods 3073–3080.Google Scholar
- Hickman, Matthew, Stuart Cox, Julie Harvey, Samantha Howes, Michael Farrell, Martin Frischer, Gerry Stimson, Colin Taylor, and Kate Tilling (1999) Estimating the prevalence of problem drug use in inner London: a discussion of three capture-recapture studies. Addiction 94: 1653–1662.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lamas, Andrea C., Denise A. Abreu, Pam Arroway, Kenneth K. Lopiano, and Linda J. Young (2010) Modeling misclassification in the June Area Survey. Proceedings of the 2010 Joint Statistical Meetings, ASA Section on Survey Research Methods 2480–2488.Google Scholar
- Laplace, P.S. (1786) Sur les naissances, les mariages et les morts. In Histoire de l’académie royale des sciences. Année. 1783, Paris.Google Scholar
- LaRuche, G., D. Dejour-Salamanca, P. Bernillon, I. Leparc-Goffart, M. Ledrans, A. Armengaud, M. Debruyne, G.A. Denoyel, S. Bichler, L. Ninove, P. Desprĕs, and M. Gastellu-Etchegorry (2013) Capture–recapture method for estimating annual incidence of imported dengue, France, 2007–2010. Emerging Infectious Diseases 19:1740–1748. doi: 10.3201/eid1911.120624.
- Lincoln, F.C. (1930) Calculating waterfowl abundance on the basis of banding returns. Circular of the U.S. Department of Agriculture No. 118: 1–4.Google Scholar
- Mule, Thomas (2012) 2010 Census Coverage Measurement Estimation Report: Summary of Estimates of Coverage for Persons in the United States. DSSD 2010 Census Coverage Measurement Memorandum Series #2010-G-01. Washington, DC; U.S. Census Bureau.Google Scholar
- National Research Council (2008) Coverage Measurement in the 2010 Census: Panel on Correlation Bias and Coverage Measurement in the 2010 Decennial Census. Ed. Robert M. Bell and Michael L. Cohen. The National Academies Press: Washington, DC.Google Scholar
- Office of National Statistics (2005) Census 2001 review and evaluation: one number census evaluation report. ONS, London.Google Scholar
- Pollock, K.H., S.C. Turner, and C.A. Brown (1994) Use of capture-recapture techniques to estimate population size and population totals when a complete frame is unavailable. Survey Methodology 20:117–124.Google Scholar
- US Census Bureau (2004) Accuracy and Coverage Evaluation of Census 2000: Design and Methodology. September, 2004. Online: http://www.Census.gov/prod/2004pubs/dssd03-dm.pdf. Accessed 24 Aug 2017.
- —— (2008) 2010 Census Coverage Measurement Estimation Methodology. October, 2008. Online: http://www.Census.gov/coverage_measurement/pdfs/2010-E-18.pdf. Accessed 24 Aug 2017.
- USDA Economic Research Service (ERS) (2013) Rural-Urban Continuum Codes: Documentation. U.S.D.A: Washington DC. Online: http://www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/rural-urban-continuum-codes/documentation.aspx. Accessed 24 Aug 2017.
- USDA National Agricultural Statistics Service (NASS) (2014) U.S. Census of Agriculture: United States Summary and State Data, Vol. 1: Geographic Series, Part 51. Report AC-12-A-51., U.S.D.A.: Washington DC. Online: http://www.agcensus.usda.gov/Publications/2012/Full_Report/Volume_1,_Chapter_1_US/usappxa.pdf. Accessed 24 Aug 2017.
- White, G.C., D.R. Anderson, K.P. Burnham, and D.L. Otis (1982) Capture-Recapture and Removal Methods for Sampling Closed Populations. Los Alamos National Laboratories, LA 8787-NERP, Los Alamos, NM, 235 pp.Google Scholar