Rheology, acceptability and texture of wheat flour tortillas supplemented with soybean residue
- 155 Downloads
Dry soybean (Glycine max) residue (SBR) is a byproduct rich in dietary fibre and protein with high levels of essential amino acids. The effects due to the substitution of refined wheat flour with 5% or 10% SBR in dough rheology and hot-press tortilla texture, dimensions, colour, protein and dietary fibre contents were studied. Substitution of 10% SBR improved flour in terms of gluten strength and sedimentation without significantly affecting dough hardness, cohesiveness, adhesiveness, and extensibility. The dimensions, colour and sensory acceptance of the supplemented tortillas were not affected by the addition of the SBR. The 10% SBR tortillas contained 1.77 times more insoluble dietary fibre, protein content of 9.3%, in vitro protein digestibility of 84% and protein digestibility corrected amino acid score (PDCAAS) of 52.63%. Results indicated that wheat flour tortillas with 10% SBR an excellent alternative to regular counterparts owing to their higher dietary fibre and protein quantity and quality.
KeywordsWheat flour tortillas Soybean residue Hot-press tortillas MIXOLAB profile
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
All authors have not conflict of interest to declare.
- AACC International (2000) Approved methods of the American association of cereal chemists, 10th edn. AACC International, St. PaulGoogle Scholar
- AOAC (2006) Official methods of analysis. Method 982.30 E(a), chapter 45.3.05, acid hydrolysis. 23rd edn. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Gaithersburg, MDGoogle Scholar
- Day B (2015) Category insight: tortilla evolution. Food Business News. https://www.foodbusinessnews.net/articles/6638-category-insight-tortilla-evolution. Accessed 4 Feb 2018
- Serna-Saldivar SO (2012) Cereal grains: laboratory reference and procedures manual. CRC Press, Boca Raton, p 368Google Scholar
- Serna-Saldivar SO (2016) Nutrition and fortification of corn and wheat tortillas. In: Rooney LW, Serna Saldivar SO (eds) Tortillas: wheat flour and corn products. Elsevier Inc., Amsterdam, pp 29–63Google Scholar
- USDA (2017) National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference. https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/. Accessed 4 Feb 2018
- Whistler RL, Smith RJ, BeMiller JN (1964) Methods in carbohydrate chemistry. Academic, New YorkGoogle Scholar