Effects of xanthan gum and HPMC on physicochemical and microstructure properties of sponge cakes during storage
- 274 Downloads
The effects of xanthan gum (XG) and hydroxypropyl methylcellulose (HPMC) in sponge cakes were studied. Hydrocolloids enhanced the thickening effect in batter that affected the textural attributes of sponge cakes. During storage, the structural changes in XG-cake resulted in higher hardness compared to HPMC-cake. Similar to XG, HPMC also contributed moistness to cake. The moisture loss of cake containing XG was slower than HPMC-cake. FTIR study showed absorption of OH at region of 3600–2900 cm−1 that explained the strong interaction of water in cake containing XG compared to other cake formulations.
KeywordsSponge cake HPMC Xanthan gum Moisture loss FTIR
The authors thank Universiti Teknologi MARA, Research Management Institute for Excellent Funds 11/2010, Reference: 600-RMI/ST/DANA 5/3/Dst (122/2010) and MITRANS for the support and assistance throughout this research.
- Angioloni A, Collar C (2009) Gel, dough and fibre enriched fresh breads: Relationships between quality features and staling kinetics. J Food Eng 91(4):526–532Google Scholar
- Damodaran S, Parkin KL, Fennema OR (2008) Fennema’s food chemistry, 4th edn. CRC Press, Boca RatonGoogle Scholar
- Eduardo E, Svanberg S, Ahrne H (2014) Effect of hydrocolloids and emulsifiers on baking quality of composite cassava-maize-wheat breads. Int J Food Sci 1–9Google Scholar
- Shohreh A, Movahhed S, Nematti N (2012) Evaluation of addition of xanthan and hydroxypropyl methylcellulose gums on chemical and rheological properties of sponge cakes. Ann Biol Res 3:589–594Google Scholar
- Shyu Y-S, Sung W-C (2010) Improving the emulsion stability of sponge cake by the addition of y-polyglutamic acid. J Mar Sci Technol 18:895–900Google Scholar
- Sozer N, Kokini JL, Bruins R, Dietzel C, Franke W, Trottier B, Harrington S (2009) https://www.researchgatenet/publication/235078314_Quality_Improvement_Project_for_Shelf_Stable_Bakery_Products/. Accessed 16 Apr 2016
- Zohng H (2013) http://www.digitalcommonsusuedu/cgi/viewcontentcgi?article=2501andcontext=etd/. Accessed 3 Apr 2016