Development of menaquinone-7 enriched nutraceutical: inside into medium engineering and process modeling
- 137 Downloads
Menaquinone 7 (MK-7) is nutritionally important metabolite found by fermentation mainly using B. subtilis species. In this study, soybean medium was modified to improve the MK-7 production using Bacillus subtilis NCIM 2708 under solid state fermentation. The objective of this study was to produce large amount of MK-7 within a short period of time. Nine nutritional components viz. glycerol, mannitol, dextrose, sucrose, yeast extract, malt extract, K2HPO4, MgSO4.7H2O and CaCl2 were investigated to obtain the maximum MK-7 concentration. The highest MK-7 concentration 39.039 μg/g was obtained after 24 h of fermentation in the following optimised medium components: soybean 20 g, glycerol 40 ml/kg, mannitol 60 g/kg, yeast extract 4 g/kg, malt extract 8 g/kg and calcium chloride 4 g/kg. The maximum production of MK-7 56.757 μg/g was predicted by point prediction tool of Design Expert 7.1 software (Statease Inc. USA). This data shows 68.78 % validity of the predicted model.
KeywordsSoybean Solid state fermentation Menaquinone-7 Medium engineering
The authors gratefully Professor S. K. Lal, IARI, PUSA, New Delhi for providing soybeans variety. All the authors acknowledge the Department of Science and Technology (DST), Govt. of India for providing fellowship for scholar under INSPIRE Programme.
- Berenjian A, Mahanama R, Talbot A, Biffin R, Regtop H, Kavanagh J, Dehghani F (2011a) The effect of amino-acids and glycerol addition on MK-7 production. Proc World Congr Eng Comput Sci 11:19–21Google Scholar
- Fujita Y, Iki M, Tamaki J, Kouda K, Youra A, Kadowaki E, Sato Y, Moon JS, Tomiaka N, Okamoto N, Kurumatani N (2011) Association between vitamin K intake from fermented soybeans, natto, and bone mineral density in elderly Japanese men: the Fujiwara-kyo Osteoporosis Risk in Men (FORMEN) study. Osteoporosis Int 23(2):705–714CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Mahanama R, Berenjian A, Valtchev P, Talbot A, Biffin R, Regtop H, Dehghani F, Kavanagh JM (2011) Enhanced production of menaquinone 7 via solid substrate fermentation from Bacillus subtilis. Int J Food Eng 7(5): DOI:10.2202/1556-3758.2314Google Scholar
- Mahanama R, Boyce D, Berenjian A, Dehghani F, Kavanagh J (2012a) The effect of enzymatic pre- treatment on solid state fermentation of vitamin K2. J Am Sci 8(1):648–654Google Scholar
- Mahanama R, Berenjian A, Dehghani F, Kavanagh J (2012b) Modelling the effect of bed height and particle size for vitamin K2 production in a static bed fermenter. Eng Lett 20(1):16–17Google Scholar
- Rowland B, Taber H (1996) Duplicate isochorismate synthase genes of Bacillus subtilis: regulation and involvement in the biosyntheses of menaquinone and 2,3-dihydroxybenzoate. J Bacteriol 178(3):854–861Google Scholar
- Sakano T, Notsumoto N, Nagaoka N (1988) Measurement of K vitamins in food by high performance liquid chromatography with fluorometric detection. Vitam (Jpn) 62(8):393–398Google Scholar
- Sonenshein AL, Hoch JA, Losick R (eds) (2002) Bacillus subtilis and its closest relatives: from genes to cells. ASM Press, Washington DCGoogle Scholar