Nanotechnology in food processing sector-An assessment of emerging trends
Use of nanoscience based technology in the food industry is fast emerging as new area for research and development. Several research groups including private companies in the industry have initiated research programmes for exploring the wide scope of nanotechnology into the value chain of food processing and manufacturing. This paper discusses the current focus of research in this area and assesses its potential impacts. Using the developed relational database framework with R&D indicators like literature and patent documents for assessment of the potential of nanotechnology in food sector, a model to organize and map nanoresearch areas to the food processing sector was developed. The study indicates that the about five basic categories of nanotechnology applications and functionalities currently in the development of food sector, include food processing, packaging, nutraceuticals delivery, food safety and functional foods.
KeywordsNanotechnology Food processing sector R&D indicators
- Augustin MA, Sanguansri P (2009) Nanostructural materials in the food industry. Adv Food Nutr Res 58:184–207Google Scholar
- Baeummer A (2004) Nanosensors identify pathogens in food. Food Technol 58:51–55Google Scholar
- Bawa AS, Jayathilakan K (2011) Nanotechnology in processing of meat. In: Mahendrakar NS, Sachindra NM (eds) Technology of muscle foods. Studium Press (India) Pvt Ltd, New Delhi, pp 103–133Google Scholar
- Chen HD, Weiss JC, Shahidi F (2006) Nanotechnology in nutraceuticals and functional foods. Food Technol 60(3):30–36Google Scholar
- ChennaiFocus (2012) Nano Mission for Agriculture Promises Quality Food to us and Reduced Cost to Farmers. Available at: http://chennaifocus.wordpress.com/2012/02/02/nano-mission-for-agriculturepromises-quality-food-to-us-and-reduced-cost-to-farmers/ [Accessed on 02 February 2102].
- Davies JC (2007) EPA and nanotechnology: oversight for the 21st century. Project on Emerging Technologies, Washington, pp 1–76Google Scholar
- Dow AgroSciences (2009) SmartStax corn receives Japanese import approval. Press release At: http://www.dowagro.com/newsroom/corporatenews/2009/20090731a.htm [Accessed on 07August 2012].
- Economic Survey (2010–11). Chapter 8 Agriculture and Food Management, At: http://indiabudget.nic.in [Accessed on August 10, 2012].
- ElAmin A (2006). Nanotech database compiles consumer items on the market. Available from http://www.foodproductiondailyusa.com/news/ng.asp?id=66516 [Accessed on 11 July 2012].
- ETC (2003) Down on the Farm: The Impact of Nanoscale Technologies on Food and Agriculture. Available at http://www.etcgroup.org/en/materials/publications.html?pub_id=80 [Accessed on June 13, 2012]
- FAO (2012) Food Price Index, Available at www.fao.org/worldfoodsituation/wfs-home/foodpricesindex/en/ [Accessed on September 26, 2012]
- FOE (2008) Friends of the Earth. Out of the laboratory and onto our plates: Nanotechnology in Food and Agriculture. Available at http://www.foe.org/pdf/nano_food.pdf [Accessed on 13 June 2012]
- Gogotsi Y (2006) Nanomaterials handbook. CRC Press, Taylor and Francis group, Boca Raton, FLGoogle Scholar
- Heugens Evelyn HW, Susan WP Wijnhoven, Eric AJ Bleeke (2010) Technology sector Evaluation: Agrifood. Report for the ObservatoryNANO, July 2010. Pages 1-23. At: www.observatorynano.eu [Accessed 21 July 2012]
- IndiaStat (2011) Agricultural area/Land use. http://www.indiastat.com/agriculture/2/agriculturalarealanduse/152/stats.aspx [Accessed on 14 August 2012]
- IPC 2012. International Patent Classification. http://www.wipo.int/export/sites/www/classifications/ipc/en/guide/guide_ipc_20.pdf Internet Version of the Classification Available at <http://www.wipo.int/classifications/ipc/ipc8/?lang=en> [Accessed on 02 January 2012]
- Indian Patent Information Retrieval System (2012) Available at http://ipindia.nic.in/ipirs1/patentsearch.htm. [Accessed on 16 August 2012]
- [IN2005MU01196]; Oxygen scavenging composition. Available at http://ipindia.nic.in/ipirs1/patentsearch.htm. [Accessed on August 16, 2012]
- [IN2008DE01339] A sensor for detecting air leakage in packed items and storage plants. http://ipindia.nic.in/ipirs1/patentsearch.htm. [Accessed on August 16, 2012]
- Jaffe AB, Trajitenberg M (2002) Patents, citations and innovations: a window on the knowledge economy. MIT, CambridgeGoogle Scholar
- Joseph T, Morrison M (2006) Nanotechnology in agriculture and food. Institute of Nanotechnology, European Nanotechnology Gateway. Available at http://www.nanoforum.org [Accessed on 26 July 2012].
- Kalpana Sastry R, Rashmi HB, Rao NH (2010b) Nanotechnology patents as R&D indicators for disease management strategies in agriculture. J Intell Prop Rights 1(5):197–205Google Scholar
- Kalpana Sastry R, Rashmi HB, Jyothi B (2011b) Research and development perspectives of transgenic cotton: evidence from patent landscape studies. J Intell Prop Rights 16:139–153Google Scholar
- Kostoff RN, Koytcheff RG, Lau CGY (2007) Global nanotechnology research literature overview. Curr Sci 92(11):1492–1498Google Scholar
- Kuzma J, VerHage P (2006) Nanotechnology in agriculture and food production. Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, Washington, pp 1–42Google Scholar
- Lane N, Kalil T (2005) The national nanotechnology initiative: present at the creation. Issues Sci Technol 21(4):49–54Google Scholar
- Mario G, Tamara F, Eric G (2010) Potential applications of nanotechnology in the agro-food sector. Sci Technol Aliment Campinas 30(3):573–581Google Scholar
- Miller JC, Serrato RM, Miguel JRC, Kundhal GA (2005) The handbook of naonotechnology. In: Graffagnini M (ed) Wiley, HobokenGoogle Scholar
- Moraru C, Panchapakesan C, Huang Q, Takhistov P (2003) Nanotechnology: a new frontier in food science. Food Technol 57(12):24–29Google Scholar
- Mukesh Kapoor (2011) Nanotechnology in food sector: current developments and future prospects. Ind Food Ind 30(4):44–55Google Scholar
- Nanomission (2012) Introduction-Nanomission. At: http://www.ckmnt.com/about-nano-mission.html [Accessed on July 7, 2012]
- NAS (2006) A matter of size: Triennial review of the national nanotechnology initiative. National Academy of Sciences, Washington DC, National Academies PressGoogle Scholar
- Nanowerk (2008) Food nanotechnology—how the industry is blowing it. Available at: http://www.nanowerk.com/spotlight/spotid=5305.php [Accessed on 16 April 2012]
- Pandey RC (2007) Food nanotechnology: an overview of the developing research area. Ind Food Ind 26(2):36–40Google Scholar
- Robinson DKR, Morrison MJ (2010) Nanotechnologies for food packaging: Reporting the science and technology research trends: Report for the ObservatoryNANO. August 2010. Pages 1-20. At: www.observatorynano.eu [Accessed on 05 August 2010]
- Scott N, Chen H (2003) Nanoscale science and engineering for agriculture and food systems. A National Planning Workshop. November 18–19, 2002. Available at http://www.nseafs.cornell.edu/web.roadmap.pdf [Accessed on 03 January 2012]
- Sekhon BS (2010) Food nanotechnology-An overview. Nanotechnol Sci Appl 3:1–15Google Scholar
- Sherman LM (2005) Chasing nanocomposites. Available from http://www.ptonline.com/articles/200411fa2.html [Accessed on 05 January 2012]
- Sozer N, Kokini JL (2009) Nanotechnology and its applications in the food sector. Trends Biotechnol 27:82–89Google Scholar
- Tarver T (2006) Food nanotechnology. Food Technol 11(6):22–26Google Scholar
- Trostle R (2008) Global agricultural supply and demand: Factors contributing to the recent increase in food commodity prices/ WRS-0801. Economic Research Service/USDA, pp 1-30. At: http://www.ers.usda.gov/Publications/WRS0801/WRS0801.pdf [Accessed on 05 July 2012]
- [WO200963508] Nanoparticle composition and process thereof. http://ipindia.nic.in/ipirs1/patentsearch.htm. [Accessed on 16 August 2012]
- Yonzon CR, Jeoung E, Zou S, Schatz GC, Mrksich M, Van Duyne RP (2004) A comparative analysis of localized and propagating surface plasmon resonance sensors: the binding of Concanavalin A to a monosaccharide functionalized self- assembled monolayer. J Am Chem Soc 126:12669–12676CrossRefGoogle Scholar