Paraneoplastic Syndrome Associated with the Retroperitoneal Dedifferentiated Liposarcoma: an Atypical Presentation and Review of the Literature
- 5 Downloads
Retroperitoneal liposarcoma is usually asymptomatic until it is large enough to compress the surrounding organs. Here, we report a rare atypical case of primary retroperitoneal dedifferentiated liposarcoma who presented primarily with the misguiding and challenging paraneoplastic symptoms of high-grade fever and thrombocytosis instead of demonstrating the usual compressive symptoms. Such an extremely rare clinical presentation may mislead the diagnostic and treatment approach towards the search for medical causes, without a hint, that the tumor itself is causing these symptoms. Complete tumor excision usually leads to resolution of these paraneoplastic symptoms.
KeywordsParaneoplastic syndrome Dedifferentiated liposarcoma Retroperitoneum Fever Thrombocytosis
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 5.Fletcher CDM, Bridge JA, Hogendoorn PCWMF (2013) World Health Organization classification of tumours of soft tissue and bone, 4th edn. IARC Press, LyonGoogle Scholar
- 6.Singer S, William DT, Crago AM, OB (2019) Soft tissue sarcoma. In: Devita VT Jr, Theodore SLRS (eds) Cancer – princ. pract. oncol, 11th edn. Lippincott Williams & Wilikins, Philadelphia, pp 2488–2572Google Scholar
- 10.Schöffski P, Sweldens C, Vanderbeeken M-C, Forceville K, Vandenbroucke J, Dubin M, Debiec-Rychter M, Wozniak A, Sciot R (2011) Retroperitoneal dedifferentiated liposarcomas with production of β-human chorionic gonadotropin – a distinct sarcoma entity? Onkologie 34:122–125. https://doi.org/10.1159/000324786 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 24.Tseng WW, Madewell JE, Wei W, Somaiah N, Lazar AJ, Ghadimi MP, Hoffman A, Pisters PWT, Lev DC, Pollock RE (2014) Locoregional disease patterns in well-differentiated and dedifferentiated retroperitoneal Liposarcoma: implications for the extent of resection? Ann Surg Oncol 21:2136–2143. https://doi.org/10.1245/s10434-014-3643-4 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 26.Gronchi A, Miceli R, Allard MA, Callegaro D, Le Péchoux C, Fiore M et al (2015) Personalizing the approach to retroperitoneal soft tissue sarcoma: histology-specific patterns of failure and postrelapse outcome after primary extended resection. Ann Surg Oncol 22:1447–1454. https://doi.org/10.1245/s10434-014-4130-7 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar