An advanced wind vector retrieval algorithm for the rotating fan-beam scatterometer
The rotating fan-beam scatterometer (RFSCAT) is a new type of satellite scatterometer that is proposed approximately 10 a ago. However, similar to other rotating scatterometers, relatively larger wind retrieval errors occur in the nadir and outer regions compared with the middle regions of the swath. For the RFSCAT with the given parameters, a wind direction retrieval accuracy decreases by approximately 9 in the outer regions compared with the middle region. To address this problem, an advanced wind vector retrieval algorithm for the RFSCAT is presented. The new algorithm features an adaptive extension of the range of wind direction for each wind vector cell position across the whole swath according to the distribution histogram of a retrieved wind direction bias. One hundred orbits of Level 2A data are simulated to validate and evaluate the new algorithm. Retrieval experiments demonstrate that the new advanced algorithm can effectively improve the wind direction retrieval accuracy in the nadir and outer regions of the RFSCAT swath. Approximately 1.6 and 9 improvements in the wind direction retrieval are achieved for the wind vector cells located at the nadir and the edge point of the swath, respectively.
Key wordsrotating fan-beam scatterometer objective function wind vector retrieval distribution histogram of bias wind direction extension
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The authors thank PO.DAAC for providing the SeaWinds L2B data.
- Arnús M P. 2002. Wind field retrieval from satellite radar systems [dissertation]. Barcelona: University of BarcelonaGoogle Scholar
- Dunbar R S. 2006. Level 2B data software interface specification (SIS-2): QuikSCAT Era. ftp://www.scp.byu.edu/data/qscat/docs/L2B_SIS_200609.pdf [2006–09-27/2013–05-15]Google Scholar
- Freilich M H. 2000. SeaWinds algorithm theoretical basis document. http://eospso.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/atbd/atbd-sws-01.pdf [1996–07-19/2002–09-11]Google Scholar
- JPL. 2003. SeaWinds on ADEOS-II Level 2B ocean wind vectors in 25 km swath. Version 1. 2. Provo: Brigham Young University, http://www.scp.byu.edu/pub/docs/ProjDocs/SWS_L2B.pdf [2003–10-14/2016–08-13]Google Scholar
- Lungu T. 2001. QuikSCAT science data product user’s manual. Version 2.2. Provo: Brigham Young University, ftp://www.scp. byu.edu/pub/docs/ProjDocs/QSUG4–4.pdf [2005–12-09/2010–08-26]Google Scholar
- Ulaby F T, Moore R K, Fung A K. 1986. Microwave Remote Sensing: Active and Passive, Vol. 3. Norwood: Artech House, 1065–2162Google Scholar
- Kloe J, Stoffelen A. 2003. Optimisation of rotating, range-gated fanbeam scatterometer for wind retrieval. Task 3a Report: Fom Definition and Validation. Amsterdam: Royal Netherlands Meteorological Institute. http://projects.knmi.nl/publications/fulltexts/rfscat_task_3a_report.pdf [2003–04-03/2008–12-25]Google Scholar