Debating chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency in patients with multiple sclerosis
- 35 Downloads
It is almost 6 years since Pr. Zamboni et al correlated the chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency syndrome (CCSVI) with multiple sclerosis (MS) and postulated that this syndrome is one the main reasons of MS. This led to a major debate within the medical community as to the existence of CCSVI, its correlation with multiple sclerosis (MS) and the hypothesis that its treatment might improve the clinical picture in patients with MS. The aim of this study is to search the literature and study the correlation of MS with CCSVI, comparing the incidence of CCSVI in patients with MS against control groups, and also to examine the results of endovascular treatment of CCVSI in patients with MS.
Key wordsMultiple sclerosis Chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency Treamtent of multiple sclerosis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.Dolic K, Marr K, Valnarov V et al. Intra- and Extraluminal Structural and Functional Venous Anomalies in Multiple Sclerosis, as Evidenced by 2 Noninvasive Imaging Techniques. Am J Neuroradiol. 2011 Dec 22Google Scholar
- 7.Hojnacki D, Zamboni P, Lopez-Soriano A et al. Use of neck magnetic resonance venography, Doppler sonography and selective venography for diagnosis of chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency: a pilot study in multiple sclerosis patients and healthy controls. Int Angiol. 2010;29(2):127–139.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 8.Kantarci F, Albayram S, Demirci NO et al. Chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency: does ultrasound really distinguish multiple sclerosis subjects from healthy controls? Eur Radiol. 2011 Nov 29.Google Scholar
- 12.Zivadinov R, Marr K, Cutter G, et al. Combined Transcranial and Extracranial Venous Doppler Evaluation (CTEVD) study. Description of the Design and Interim Results of an Epidemiological Study of the Prevalence of Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency in MS and Related Diseases. Neurology 2011Google Scholar
- 21.Floris R, Centonze D, Fabiano S et al. Prevalence study of chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency in patients with multiple sclerosis: preliminary data. Radiol Med. 2012 Jan 7.Google Scholar