The complete mitochondrial genome of the scaleshell Leptodea leptodon (Bivalvia: Unionidae)

Abstract

The Leptodea leptodon (Bivalvia: Unionidae) is native to the United States, it is threatened by human activities and habitat destruction. In the present study, it’s complete mitochondrial genome was reconstructed from whole-genome Illumina sequencing data with an average coverage of 1213X. The total length of mitogenome is 16,133 bp, which consists of 37 typical animal mitochondrial genes, including 22 transfer RNAs (tRNAs), 13 protein-coding genes (PCGs) and two ribosomal RNAs. The putative control region (329 bp) is located between ND5 and tRNA-Gln, with an A + T content of 67.4 %. The base composition of the genome is A (38.7 %), C (26.7 %), G (10.8 %) and C (26.7 %) with an overall GC content of 37.5 %. Phylogenetic analysis suggests that L. leptodon is closely related to its confamilial counterparts than to the other taxa.

This is a preview of subscription content, log in to check access.

Fig. 1
Fig. 2

References

  1. Breton S, Beaupré HD, Stewart DT, Piontkivska H, Karmakar M, Bogan AE, Blier PU, Hoeh WR (2009) Comparative mitochondrial genomics of freshwater mussels (Bivalvia: Unionoida) with doubly uniparental inheritance of mtDNA: gender-specific open reading frames and putative origins of replication. Genetics 183:1575–1589

    CAS  Article  PubMed  PubMed Central  Google Scholar 

  2. Breton S, Stewart DT, Shepardson S, Trdan RJ, Bogan AE, Chapman EG, Ruminas AJ, Piontkivska H, Hoeh WR (2011) Novel protein genes in animal mtDNA: a new sex determination system in freshwater mussels (Bivalvia: Unionoida)? Mol Biol Evol 28:1645–1659

    CAS  Article  PubMed  Google Scholar 

  3. Ceballos G, Ehrlich PR, Barnosky AD, García A, Pringle RM, Palmer TM (2015) Accelerated modern human-induced species losses: entering the sixth mass extinction. Sci Adv 1:e1400253

    Article  PubMed  PubMed Central  Google Scholar 

  4. Galtier N, Nabholz B, Glémin S, Hurst GDD (2009) Mitochondrial DNA as a marker of molecular diversity: a reappraisal. Mol Ecol 18:4541–4550

    CAS  Article  PubMed  Google Scholar 

  5. Hahn C, Bachmann L, Chevreux B (2013) Reconstructing mitochondrial genomes directly from genomic next-generation sequencing reads—a baiting and iterative mapping approach. Nucleic Acids Res 41:e129

    CAS  Article  PubMed  PubMed Central  Google Scholar 

  6. Lance SL, Love CN, Nunziata SO, O’Bryhim JR, Scott DE, Flynn RW, Jones KL (2013) 32 species validation of a new Illumina paired-end approach for the development of microsatellites. PLoS ONE 8:e81853

    Article  CAS  PubMed  PubMed Central  Google Scholar 

  7. Murphy GEP, Romanuk TN (2014) A meta-analysis of declines in local species richness from human disturbances. Ecol Evol 4:91–103

    Article  PubMed  Google Scholar 

  8. Roberts AD (2004) Scaleshell mussel draft recovery plan (Leptodea leptodon). United States Fish and Wildlife Service, Fort Snelling, Minnesota

    Google Scholar 

  9. Serb JM, Lydeard C (2003) Complete mtDNA sequence of the North American freshwater mussel, Lampsilis ornata (Unionidae): an examination of the evolution and phylogenetic utility of mitochondrial genome organization in Bivalvia (Mollusca). Mol Biol Evol 20:1854–1866

    CAS  Article  PubMed  Google Scholar 

  10. Syzmanski J (1998) Leptodea leptodon (scaleshell mussel) rangewide status assessment 1998. United States Fish and Wildlife Service, Fort Snelling, Minnesota

    Google Scholar 

  11. Tamura K, Stecher G, Peterson D, Filipski A, Kumar S (2013) MEGA6: molecular evolutionary genetics analysis version 6.0. Mol Biol Evol 30:2725–2729

    CAS  Article  PubMed  PubMed Central  Google Scholar 

  12. Zhan A, Bailey SA, Heath DD, Macisaac HJ (2014) Performance comparison of genetic markers for high-throughput sequencing-based biodiversity assessment in complex communities. Mol Ecol Resour 14:1049–1059

    CAS  PubMed  Google Scholar 

Download references

Acknowledgments

This study was financially supported by the Program for Changjiang Scholars and Innovative Research Team in University (No. IRT1174) and the Key Laboratory Program Founded by the Education Department of Shaanxi Province (JH12321).

Author information

Affiliations

Authors

Corresponding author

Correspondence to Li Feng.

Rights and permissions

Reprints and Permissions

About this article

Verify currency and authenticity via CrossMark

Cite this article

Feng, L., Zhang, X. & Zhao, G. The complete mitochondrial genome of the scaleshell Leptodea leptodon (Bivalvia: Unionidae). Conservation Genet Resour 8, 443–445 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1007/s12686-016-0592-1

Download citation

Keywords

  • Illumina sequencing
  • Leptodea leptodon
  • Mitogenome
  • Next-generation sequencing