Investigations for Surface Hardness of Aluminum Matrix Composites with Hybrid Reinforcement
- 53 Downloads
This work focuses on the investigations of hybrid reinforcement of SiC/Al2O3 as dual particle size and triple particle size (TPS) on the surface hardness of hybrid aluminum matrix composite (AMC) prepared with synergistic combination of fused deposition modeling, vacuum molding (V) process and stir casting. It was observed that TPS-based SiC resulted into highest microhardness of 45HV. Further, ANOVA revealed that the percentage contribution of particle size and type of reinforcement on surface hardness of AMC were 27.30% and 48.72%, respectively. The best parametric setting (of input parameters) for microhardness is: particle size—TPS, type of reinforcement—SiC, vacuum pressure—350 mm of Hg, sand grain size—70 (AFS no.), vibration time—4 s. and composition/proportion of reinforcement in Al matrix—10%, respectively, and overall, 5.1% improvement in microhardness was observed at proposed parametric setting. The presence of Al2O3/SiC responsible for the improvement in microhardness was supported by photomicrographs.
KeywordsHybrid Al-MMC DPS TPS V-process Microhardness
The authors are thankful to I. K.G. Punjab Technical University, Kapurthla (Pb.), India, and Guru Nanak Dev Engineering College, Ludhiana (Pb.), India, for providing this opportunity and support.
- 1.Iqbal A A, and Dewan M N, Int J Appl Eng Res 11 (2016) 10408.Google Scholar
- 2.Sirahbizu Yigezu B, Mahapatra M M, and Jha P K, J Miner Mater Charact Eng 1 (2013) 124.Google Scholar
- 3.Matsunaga T, Kim J K, Hard Castle S, and Rohatgi P K, Trans AFS 104 (1996) 1097.Google Scholar
- 9.Uvaraja V C, and Natrajan N, J Miner Mater Charact Eng 11 (2012) 757.Google Scholar
- 12.Radhika N, Balaji T V, and Palaniappan S, J Eng Sci Technol 10 (2015) 134.Google Scholar
- 14.Kubo Y, Nakata K, Akita K K, and Gouwens P R, AFS Trans 81 (1973) 529.Google Scholar
- 16.Kumar P, and Gaindhar J L, Trans Am Foundrym Soc 104 (1997) 635.Google Scholar
- 17.Singh R, Singh J, and Singh J, J Inst Eng (India) Ser C 93 (2012) 325.Google Scholar
- 24.Kumar G B V, Rao C S P, and Selvaraj N, J. Miner Mater Charac Eng 10 (2011) 59.Google Scholar