Globularisation of α Lamellae in Titanium Alloy: Effect of Strain, Strain Path and Starting Microstructure
To gain in-depth understating on the globularisation of α lamellae in titanium alloys, a systematic study has been carried out to evaluate the effect of strain and strain path on the microstructural evolution of titanium alloy Ti–6Al–4V with two different starting microstructures viz., water quenched martensitic and air cooled lamellar microstructure. Ti–6A1–4V was subjected to similar amounts of strain using uniaxial (monotonic) and multi-axial (non-monotonic) deformation. A vis-à-vis comparison of the microstructures obtained after deformation revealed that the material with fine α lamellae exhibits better globularisation kinetics irrespective of the mode of deformation. Further alteration of the strain path (multi-axial or non-monotonic) in the material before achieving critical percentage of deformation results in reduced globularisation. Beyond this critical amount of deformation, the results obtained for both monotonic and non-monotonic deformation are comparable. However, multi-axial or non-monotonic deformation results in better homogeneity in terms of microstructural evolution.
KeywordsTitanium Ti–6Al–4V Globularisation Multi-axial deformation Recrystallization CDRX
The authors express their gratitude to Dr. Vikas Kumar, Director, Defence Metallurgical Research Laboratory (DMRL) for encouraging us to publish his work. The authors thank Dr. A. K. Mukhopadhyay, Division Head, Aeronautical Materials Division, DMRL for his support and valuable suggestions. Authors acknowledge the funding provided by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) to carry out the work.
- 1.Lutjering G, Williams J C, Titanium. Springer, Berlin (2003), p 01.Google Scholar
- 3.Moore J B, Tequesta J, Athey R L, Fabrication Method for the High Temperature Alloys, US Patent 3519503 (1970).Google Scholar
- 10.Salishchev GA, Galeyev RM, Valiakhmetov OR, Safiullin RV, Lutfullin RY, Senkovv ON, Froes FH, Kaibyshe OA, Mater Technol Adv Perform Mater 15 (2000) 133.Google Scholar
- 11.Margolin H, Cohen P, in Titanium 80—Science and Technology (1980), p 1555.Google Scholar
- 12.Margolin H, Cohen P, in Titanium 80—Science and Technology (1980), p 2991.Google Scholar
- 17.Salishchev G A, Mironov, Y S, Zherebtsov S V, Rev Adv Mater Sci 11 (2006) 152.Google Scholar
- 24.Banerjee D, Krishnan R V, Proc Indian Acad Sci 4 (1981) 21.Google Scholar
- 26.Material data sheet, M/s MIDHANI, Hyderabad, India.Google Scholar