Microstructures of Directionally Solidified Al–Ag–Cu Ternary Eutectics
- 224 Downloads
Different three-phase microstructures are observed in directionally solidified Al–Ag–Cu ternary eutectics composed of an Ag2Al, an Al2Cu and a solid solution α-Al phase. A survey from regular to irregular structures is given and some special, new structural defects are observed and discussed. An approach for the quantitative description of the rich variety of complex three-phase microstructures is suggested including the defects. Shape factor and specific surface area of the phase particles are determined and compared for different microstructures.
KeywordsAl–Ag–Cu Ternary eutectics Directional solidification Microstructures
- 2.Jackson K, and Hunt J, Trans Metall Soc AIME 236 (1966) 1129.Google Scholar
- 6.Himemiya T, and Umeda T, Mater Trans JIM 40 (1999) 665.Google Scholar
- 7.Witusiewicz V T, Hecht U, Fries S G, and Rex S, J Alloys Compd 385 (2004) 133.Google Scholar
- 11.AnalySIS pro, Olympus Soft Imaging Solutions GmbH (1986–2007). http://www.olympus-sis.com.
- 14.Cooksey D, and Hellawell A, J Metal 95 (1967) 183.Google Scholar
- 16.Choudhury A, Personal communication (2012).Google Scholar