Extra-mucosal enucleation is still a safe and feasible treatment option of giant esophageal leiomyomas
Esophageal leiomyoma (EL) is rare but still the most common benign tumor of the esophagus. Extra-mucosal enucleation (EME) is the treatment of choice. Many recent reports have favored esophageal resection for giant Esophageal leiomyomas (ELs). The consequence of esophageal resection is well known and it would be radical to consider it as a preferred treatment for giant EL since most of them are still benign. We share case series of five giant ELs managed by EME, avoiding a mucosal breach and hence avoiding potentially morbid esophageal resections.
KeywordsEsophageal leiomyoma Extra-mucosal enucleation Giant esophageal leiomyoma
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
AP, VKS, AS, and AC declare that they have no conflict of interest.
All the content in the manuscript is approved by the hospital ethics committee.
- 2.Xuefei S, Jiabang W, Guotao Y. Surgical treatment of esophageal leiomyoma larger than 5 cm in diameter: a case report and review of the literature. J Thorac Dis. 2012;4:323–6.Google Scholar
- 3.Cheng BC, Chang S, Mao ZF, et al. Surgical treatment of giant esophageal leiomyoma. World J Gastroenterol. 2005;11:4258–60.Google Scholar
- 4.Mutrie CJ, Donahue DM, Wain JC, et al. Esophageal leiomyoma: a 40-year experience. Ann Thorac Surg. 2005;79:1122–5.Google Scholar
- 6.Dendy M, Johnson K, Boffa DJ. Spectrum of FDG uptake in large (>10 cm) esophageal leiomyomas. J Thorac Dis. 2015;7:E648–51.Google Scholar
- 7.Liu H, Wei LL, Zhang YZ, et al. Submucosal tunnelling endoscopic resection (STER) for the treatment of a case of huge esophageal tumor arising in the muscularis propria: a case report and review of literature. Int J Clin Exp Med. 2015;8:15846–51.Google Scholar
- 8.Roviaro GC, Maciocco M, Varoli F, Rebuffat C, Vergani C, Scarduelli A. Videothoracoscopic treatment of oesophageal leiomyoma. Thorax. 1998;53:190–2.Google Scholar
- 9.Lee LS, Singhal S, Brinster CJ, et al. Current management of esophageal leiomyoma. J Am Coll Surg. 2004;198:136–46.Google Scholar
- 14.Hu X, Lee H. Complete thoracoscopic enucleation of giant leiomyoma of the esophagus: a case report and review of the literature. J Cardiothorac Surg. 2014;9:34.Google Scholar