VASEM: visual analytics system for electron microscopy data bank
- 6 Downloads
Electron Microscopy Data Bank (EMDB) provides biological researchers with a platform for uploading and downloading data obtained mainly by electron microscopy. With the continuous expansion of the total amount of data stored in EMDB in recent years, its influence has also been continuously improved. In order to make it easier for domain scientists to make better use of these data, we analyzed the EMDB meta-information structure and developed a visual analytics system, called VASEM, to provide convenient data exploration, searching, and analysis tools. Domain scientists can use our system to interactively filter massive EMDB data into relatively small subset for analysis and obtain subset depiction from visualization results. A modified parallel coordinates plot suitable for large-scale multi-dimensional ranking data visualization is also proposed for EM data subset depiction tasks. We present two usage scenarios to describe how the proposed system achieves the design goals.
KeywordsSearch visualization Visual analytics Parallel coordinates Electron microscopy metadata
This work was supported in part by a grant from National Key R&D Program of China (2017YFB0203504), the 13th 5-year Informatization Plan of Chinese Academy of Sciences, Grant No. XXH13504 and Key Research Program of Frontier Sciences, CAS, Grant No. QYZDB-SSW-SMC004-02.
- Collins C, Viegas FB, Wattenberg M (2009) Parallel tag clouds to explore and analyze faceted text corpora. In: IEEE symposium on visual analytics science and technology, pp 91–98Google Scholar
- Pirolli P, Stuart C (2005) The sensemaking process and leverage points for analyst technology as identified through cognitive task analysis. In: Proceedings of international conference on intelligence analysisGoogle Scholar
- Riehmann P, Hanfler M, Froehlich B (2005) Interactive sankey diagrams. In: IEEE symposium on information visualizationGoogle Scholar
- Shneiderman B (1996) The eyes have it: a task by data type taxonomy for information visualizations. In: Proceedings visual languages. IEEE CS Press, pp 336–343Google Scholar
- Tufte ER (2006) Beautiful evidence, vol 1. Graphics Press, CheshireGoogle Scholar
- Yang J, Peng W, Ward MO, Rundensteiner EA (2003) Interactive hierarchical dimension ordering, spacing and filtering for exploration of high dimensional datasets. In: Computer Science Faculty publications, pp 105–112Google Scholar