UIA: a uniform integrated advection algorithm for steady and unsteady piecewise linear flow field on structured and unstructured grids
- 18 Downloads
Integration-based geometric method is widely used in vector field visualization. To improve the efficiency of integration advection-based visualization, we propose a uniform integrated advection (UIA) algorithm on steady and unsteady vector field according to common piecewise linear field data set analysis. UIA employs cell gradient-based interpolation along spatial and temporal direction, and transforms multi-step advection into single-step advection in association with fourth-order Runge–Kutta advection process. UIA can significantly reduce computational load, and is applicable on arbitrary grid type with cell-center/cell-vertex data structure. The experiments are performed on steady/unsteady vector fields with two-dimensional cell-center unstructured grids and three-dimensional cell-vertex grids, and also on unsteady field from fluid dynamics numerical simulation. The result shows that the proposed algorithm can significantly improve advection efficiency and reduce visualization computational time compared with fourth-order Runge–Kutta.
KeywordsScientific visualization Integration-based geometric method Unsteady vector field Piecewise linear GPU
This work is supported by the National Key Research and Development Program of China (2016YFB0200701), Chinese 973 Program (2015CB-755604), and the National Natural Science Foundation of China (61202335).
- Anderson JDJ (2007) Computational fluid dynamics. China Machine, BeijingGoogle Scholar
- Anderson JDJ (2014) Fundamentals of aerodynamics, 5th edn. Aviation Industrial Publishing House, BeijingGoogle Scholar
- Camp D, Krishnan H, Pugmire D, Garth C, Johnson I, Bethel EW et al (2013) GPU acceleration of particle advection workloads in a parallel, distributed memory setting. In: Eurographics symposium on parallel graphics and visualization 2011, pp 1–8. Eurographics AssociationGoogle Scholar
- Chen W, Shen ZQ, Tao YB (2013) Data visualization. Publishing House of Electronics Industry, BeijingGoogle Scholar
- Kundu P, Cohen IM (2008) Fluid mechanics, 4th edn. Academic, ElsevierGoogle Scholar