Visual exploration of tsunami evacuation planning
- 241 Downloads
We present a novel web browser-based interactive visualization tool to aid in rapid tsunami evacuation planning. The interface loads simulated route-schedule flow data for visual analysis and allows users to explore the spatio-temporal evolvement of an evacuation process with a dynamic map. It also supports multiple filtering and summary interaction, i.e., filtering the roads/nodes by their utilization efficiency and summarizing the congested roads during evacuation. The multiple linked views including some diagrams facilitate the analysis of evacuation efficiency and verifying of evacuation schedules. Our tool also supports dynamic evacuation parameter settings to help to make the evacuation strategies and optimize decision-making. A case study on the possible tsunami evacuation events is conducted with disaster managers and domain experts. Encouraging remarks on usability and performance were received.
KeywordsInteractive visualization Visual analysis Tsunami evacuation planning Tsunami simulation
The authors wish to thank anonymous reviewers. This work was supported in part by a grant from Young Teacher Foundation of Ocean University of China (No: 201213016), International Science & Technology Cooperation Program of China (No: 2014DFA10410), National Natural Science Foundation of China (No: 61271405).
- Chen Y, Chen Q, Wei Z (2007) Tsunami disaster in China. J Nat Disasters 16(2):1–6Google Scholar
- Cook KA, Thomas JJ (2006) Illuminating the path: the research and development agenda for visual analytics. Technical report, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL), Richland, WA (US)Google Scholar
- Guest J, Eaglin T, Subramanian K, Ribarsky W (2013) Visual analysis of situationally aware building evacuations. In IS&T/SPIE Electronic Imaging. International Society for Optics and Photonics, p 86540G–86540GGoogle Scholar
- Hoffmann P, Höferlin M, Kirstädter A, Weiskopf D (2013) Dynamic evacuation planning by visual analyticsan expert survey. SIGRAD 2013, p 3Google Scholar
- Keon DB (2012) Automated web-based analysis and visualization of spatiotemporal dataGoogle Scholar
- Lu Q, George B, Shekhar S (2005) Capacity constrained routing algorithms for evacuation planning: a summary of results. In Advances in spatial and temporal databases, pages 291–307. SpringerGoogle Scholar
- Reddy R, Höferlin M, Dambier M, Weiskopf D (2012) Visual analytics for dynamic evacuation planning. In Int Workshop Vis Anal (EuroVA), pp 13–17Google Scholar
- Wang XM (2009) User manual for comcot version 1.7Google Scholar
- Yin D (2009) A scalable heuristic for evacuation planning in large road network. In: Proceedings of the Second International Workshop on Computational Transportation Science ACM, pp 19–24Google Scholar