Design and Modeling of Polarization-Conversion Based all-Optical Basic Logic Gates in a Single Silicon Ring Resonator
- 23 Downloads
The demonstration of all-optical basic logic gates using single silicon micro-ring resonator is presented in the paper. Based on the nature of the pump signal rather than its intensity, the polarization-conversion in ring resonator occurs with the response time of 0.2 ps. To validate the proposed model, the finite-difference time domain (FDTD) and Matlab simulation results are included in the report. The Q-factor and operational speed are also calculated to justify its utility. The ring parameters are optimized through numerical simulation to obtain the conversion of polarization in the ring resonator. The nature of the pump and source signal is responsible to obtain polarization conversion based all-optical switch and all-optical logic gates in the ring resonator. The design in this paper is simple and stable.
KeywordsAll-optical logic gates FDTD simulation Polarization-conversion Race-track ring resonator Polarization states
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This work is supported by the project entitled “Polarization conversion and rotation using micro-ring resonator and its application to design binary and multi-valued logic circuits in optical domain” under the Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB) of DST, Govt. of India (Ref. No.: EMR/2017/001324).
The authors want to thank Prof. T. Srinivas, Associate Professor, Electrical Communication Engineering, Indian Institute of Science (IISc) Bangalore, India for solving queries regarding SOI techniques and allowing us to visit the Centre for Nano Science and Engineering (CeNSE), Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore – 560012, Karnataka, India.
- 6.Rakshit JK, Roy JN (2016) Silicon micro-ring resonator based all optical digital to analog converter. Photon Netw Commun:1–9Google Scholar
- 10.Bharti GK, Rakshit JK (2018) Design of all-optical JK, SR and T flip-flops using micro-ring resonator-based optical switch. Photon Netw Commun. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11107-017-0754-4
- 18.Lumerical FDTD solutions [Online]-http://www.lumerical.com/tcad-products/fdtd/ (2018)
- 19.Bharti GK, Rakshit JK, Pal SS (2018) Design and modeling of mode-conversion in ring-resonator and its application in all-optical switching. Microsyst Technol 25:295–306. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00542-018-3964-5
- 20.Chremmos, I., et al (eds.).: Photonic microresonator research and applications. Springer series in optical sciences. 156 Chapter-2-3 https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4419-1744-7_2-3
- 25.Bharti GK, Rakshit JK (2019) Micro-ring resonator based all optical reversible logic gates and its applications. Optoelectronics and Advanced Materials-Rapid Communications 13:10–19Google Scholar