Development of N-doped carbons from zeolite-templating route as potential electrode materials for symmetric supercapacitors
- 43 Downloads
N-doped carbons were fabricated from zeolite-templated carbon via modification with melamine and mild KOH activation. The N-doping treatment and KOH activation slightly lowered the surface areas of pristine zeolite-templated carbon; nonetheless, N-doped carbons with a lower surface area exhibited much higher capacitance and cycling stability as fabricated into symmetric supercapacitor. Significantly, N-doped carbon obtained at 700°C showed a capacitance of 45.7 F/g at 0.1 A/g and 42.0 F/g at 10 A/g for the fabricated supercapacitor with 6 M KOH electrolyte, with 92% retention of initial capacitance as current density increased up to 100-fold. This performance was attributed to the dual contribution of electric double-layer capacitance and pseudo-capacitance. The assembled supercapacitor also exhibited excellent cycling stability, with 91% capacitance retention at 10 A/g after 10000 cycles.
Keywordszeolite template porous carbon nitrogen-doping chemical activation supercapacitor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This work was financially supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 21506184), Hunan 2011 Collaborative Center of Chemical Technologies for Environmental Benignity & Efficient Resource Utilization, and State Key Laboratory of Powder Metallurgy of Central South University. Dr. Cai also give his special thanks to Prof. Titirici worked at Queen Mary University of London for her kind help on the measurements and discussions for the electrochemical performance.
- W. Li, J. Zhou, W. Xing, S.P. Zhuo, and Y.M. Lv, Preparation of microporous carbon using a zeolite HY template and its capacitive performance, Acta Phys. Chim. Sin., 27(2011), No. 3, p. 620.Google Scholar
- W.W. Gao, H. Huang, H.Y. Shi, X. Feng, and W.B. Song, Nitrogen–rich graphene from small molecules as high performance anode material, Nanotechnology, 25(2014), No. 41, art. No. 415402.Google Scholar
- Z.X. Ma, T. Kyotani, and A. Tomita, Synthesis methods for preparing microporous carbons with a structural regularity of zeolite Y, Carbon, 40 (2002), No. 13, p. 2367.Google Scholar
- B.J. Zhu, B. Liu, C. Qu, H. Zhang, W.H. Guo, Z.B. Liang, F. Chen, and R.Q. Zou, Tailoring biomass–derived carbon for high–performance supercapacitors from controllably cultivated algae microspheres, J. Mater. Chem. A, 6(2018), No. 4, No. p. 1523.Google Scholar
- J.S. Moon, H. Kim, D.C. Lee, J.T. Lee, and G. Yushin, Increasing capacitance of zeolite–templated carbons in electric double layer capacitors, J. Electrochem. Soc., 162(2015), No. 5, p. A5070.Google Scholar