Effect of coaxial laser cladding parameters on bead formation
- 124 Downloads
We investigated the shape and morphology of nickel-based powder particles (Sulzer Metco) and coatings produced by laser gas–powder deposition onto steel substrates. Laser deposition was performed using an LC-10 IPG-Photonics laser complex equipped with a 10-kW fiber laser. The shape and microstructure of the samples were studied using optical and electronic microscopy and X-ray diffraction analysis. The results showed that the deposition speed and laser power significantly influenced the shape and size of the beads. The depth of diffusion of nickel into the steel substrate after deposition was less than 20 μm; the microstructure of the resulting coating was fcc Fe3Ni. As a result, detailed information about the form and shape of the filler powder, modes of its deposition, and the resulting coating structure was obtained; this information is important for the production of high-quality products by additive technologies.
Keywordslaser cladding additive manufacturing microstructure morphology bead formation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The work has been done in Kazan National Research Technical University named after A.N. Tupolev under the support of the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation, state contract No. 14.Z50.31.0023 within the scope of the 220th Enactment and under the state assignment No. 9.3236.2017/PCH.
- J.C. Ion, Laser Processing of Engineering Materials: Principles, Procedure, and Industrial Application, Elsevier, Amsterdam, 2005, p. 556.Google Scholar
- E. Toyserkani, A. Khajepour, and S. Corbin, Laser Cladding, CRS Press, Boca Raton, 2005, p. 280.Google Scholar
- O.G. Devoyno, P. Drozdov, Y.B. Dovoretskiy, M.A. Kardapolova, N.I. Lutsko, and E. Tamanis, Influence of laser cladding parameters on the distribution of elements in the beads of nickel-based Ni–Cr–B–Si alloy, Latv. J. Phys. Tech. Sci., 49(2012, No. 4, 61.Google Scholar
- A.G. Grigor’yants, I.N. Shiganov, and A.I. Misyurov, Technological Processes of Laser Processing, Bauman MSTU Publ., Moscow, 2008, p. 664.Google Scholar
- A.G. Grigor’yants, A.N. Safonov, and V.V. Shibaev, Powder Metallurgy, Moscow, 1984, No. 9, p. 39.Google Scholar
- S.C. Li, G.Y. Chen, C Zhou, X.F. Chen, and Y. Zhou, Plasma inside and outside keyhole during 10 kW level fiber laser welding, Acta Phys. Sin., 63(2014, No. 10, 104212.Google Scholar
- A.G. Grigoryants, A.I. Misyurov, and R.S. Tretjakov, Analysis of the effect of the parameters of coaxial laser surfacing on the formation of beads, Tekhnologiya Mashinostroeniya, No. 11, 2011, p. 19.Google Scholar
- C.Y. Kong, P.A. Carroll, P. Brown, and R.J. Scudamore, The effect of average powder particle size on deposition efficiency, deposit height and surface roughness in the direct metal laser deposition process, [in] Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on Joining of Materials, Helsingør, Denmark, 2007.Google Scholar