Dietary Supplementation of Probiotic Bacillus subtilis Affects Antioxidant Defenses and Immune Response in Grass Carp Under Aeromonas hydrophila Challenge
- 108 Downloads
This study investigated whether Bacillus subtilis can provide protection for grass carp against oxidative stress damage induced by Aeromonas hydrophila. A total of 240 healthy grass carp (Ctenopharyngodon idellus) (average weight of 71.42 ± 4.36g) were randomly divided into four groups with three replicates: control group, A. hydrophila group, B. subtilis + A. hydrophila group, and A. hydrophila + B. subtilis group. After challenge with A. hydrophila, the lipid oxidative damage, antioxidant defenses, and the gene expression of inflammatory cytokines of the grass carp were investigated. Our results showed that A. hydrophila caused lipid oxidative damage, led to significant decreases in antioxidant defenses, and induced inflammatory responses of grass carp. However, the grass carp group fed the probiotic B. subtilis diet for 42 days before the challenge and the group fed the probiotic B. subtilis diet immediately after the challenge both showed (i) a reduced level of oxidative stress with a decrease in the level of MDA; (ii) an increase in antioxidant defenses, including an increase in total antioxidant capacity (T-AOC), increased activities of SOD and CAT, increased levels of GSH, and upregulated gene expression of antioxidant enzymes (SOD, CAT, and Gpx); and (iii) an improved immune response with the level of antiinflammatory cytokines IL-10 messenger RNA (mRNA) upregulated and the levels of pro-inflammatory cytokines TNF-α, IL-1β, and IL-8 mRNA downregulated. Based on this study, B. subtilis can provide effective protection of fish against oxidative stress damage induced by A. hydrophila infection.
KeywordsBacillus subtilis Probiotic feed Oral administration Immune response Antioxidant defenses
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Nos. 31472310 and 31672683), the Innovation Training Plan of University Students (105042016047), and SRF (2016151).
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
The authors declare that there is no conflict of interest.
- 4.Sahoo PK, Rauta PR, Mohanty BR, Mahapatra KD, Saha JN, Rye M, Eknath AE (2011) Selection for improved resistance to Aeromonas hydrophila in Indian major carp labeo rohita: survival and innate immune responses in first generation of resistant and susceptible lines. Fish Shellfish Immunol 31(3):432–438CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Chen CZ, Zhang XJ (1999) Detection and analysis of enteritis pathogen of grass carp. Chin J Vet Sci Technol 29(1):5–7 (Chinese) Google Scholar
- 6.De BC, Meena DK, Behera BK, Das P, Das Mohapatra PK, Sharma AP (2014) Probiotics in fish and shellfish culture: immunomodulatory and ecophysiological responses. Fish Physiol Biochem 40(3):921–971Google Scholar
- 12.Liu H, Wang S, Cai Y, Guo X, Cao Z, Zhang Y, Liu S, Yuan W, Zhu W, Zheng Y, Xie Z, Guo W, Zhou Y (2017) Dietary administration of Bacillus subtilis HAINUP40 enhances growth, digestive enzyme activities, innate immune responses and disease resistance of tilapia, Oreochromis niloticus. Fish Shellfish Immunol 60:326–333CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Ai Q, Xu H, Mai K, Xu W, Wang J, Zhang W (2011) Effects of dietary supplementation of Bacillus subtilis and fructooligosaccharide on growth performance, survival, non-specific immune response and disease resistance of juvenile large yellow croaker, Larimichthys crocea. Aquaculture 317(1):155–161CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 19.Feng X, Wu ZX, Zhu DM, Wang Y, Pang SF, Yu YM, Chen XX (2008) Study on digestive enzyme-producing bacteria from the digestive tract of Ctenopharyngodon idellus and Carassius auratus gibelio. Freshw Fish 38:51–57 (Chinese) Google Scholar
- 21.Kong WG, Li SS, Chen XX, Huang YQ, Tang Y, Wu ZX (2017) A study of the damage of the intestinal mucosa barrier structure and function of Ctenopharyngodon idella with Aeromonas hydrophila. Fish Physiol Biochem 19:1–13Google Scholar
- 22.Dawood MA, Koshio S, Ishikawa M, Yokoyama S, El Basuini MF, Hossain MS, Moss AS (2016) Effects of dietary supplementation of Lactobacillus rhamnosus or/and Lactococcus lactis on the growth, gut microbiota and immune responses of red sea bream, Pagrus major. Fish Shellfish Immunol 49:275–285CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 25.Wang HL, Wen HS, Zhang XY (2016) Effects of salinity stress on antioxidant enzyme and non-specific immunity activities in the intestine of juvenile lateolabrax maculatus. Mod Agric Sci Technol 4:236–265 (Chinese) Google Scholar
- 34.Esteban MA, Cordero H, Martinez-Tome M, Jimenez-Monreal AM, Bakhrouf A, Mahdhi A (2014) Effect of dietary supplementation of probiotics and palm fruits extracts on the antioxidant enzyme gene expression in the mucosae of gilthead seabream (Sparus aurata L.) Fish Shellfish Immunol 39(2):532–540CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 37.Giri SS, Sukumaran V, Sen SS, Jena PK (2013) Effects of dietary supplementation of potential probiotic Bacillus subtilis VSG1 singularly or in combination with Lactobacillus plantarum VSG3 or/and Pseudomonas aeruginosa VSG2 on the growth, immunity and disease resistance of Labeo rohita. Aquac Nutr 20(2):163–171CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 38.Zhang CN, Li XF, Xu WN, Jiang GZ, Lu KL, Wang LN, Liu WB (2013) Combined effects of dietary fructooligosaccharide and Bacillus licheniformis on innate immunity, antioxidant capability and disease resistance of triangular bream (Megalobrama terminalis). Fish Shellfish Immunol 35(5):1380–1386CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 42.Zhou JM, Wu ZX, Zeng LB, Chen XX, Yang L, Zhao Y (2012) Selection and characterization of pathogen antagonised probiotics from intestinal tract of yellow catfish (Pelteobagrus fulvidraco). Acta Hydrobiol Sin 36:78–84 (Chinese)Google Scholar
- 43.Aly SM, Abdel-Galil Ahmed Y, Abdel-Aziz Ghareeb A, Mohamed MF (2008) Studies on Bacillus subtilis and Lactobacillus acidophilus, as potential probiotics, on the immune response and resistance of Tilapia nilotica (Oreochromis niloticus) to challenge infections. Fish Shellfish Immunol 25(1–2):128–136CrossRefGoogle Scholar