Comparison of Measurements from Pressure-recording Inverted Echo Sounders and Satellite Altimetry in the North Equatorial Current Region of the Western Pacific
- 51 Downloads
An array of 5 pressure-recording inverted echo sounders (PIESs) was deployed along the Jason-2 214 ground track in the North Equatorial Current (NEC) region of the western Pacific Ocean for about 2 years from June 2012. Round-trip acoustic travel time from the bottom to the sea surface and bottom pressure measurements from PIES were converted to sea level anomaly (SLA). AVISO along-track mono-mission SLA (Mono-SLA), reference mapped SLA (Ref-MSLA), and up-to-date mapped SLA (Upd-MSLA) products were used for comparison with PIES-derived SLA (ηtot). Comparisons of ηtot with Mono-SLA revealed that hump artifact errors significantly contaminate the Mono-SLA. Differences of ηtot from both Ref-MSLA and Upd-MSLA decreased as the hump errors were reduced in mapped SLA products. Comparisons of Mono-SLA measurements at crossover points of ground tracks near the observation sites revealed large differences though the time differences of their measurements were only 1.53 and 4.58 days. Comparisons between Mono-SLA and mapped SLA suggested that mapped SLA smooths out the hump artifact errors by taking values between the two discrepant Mono-SLA measurements at the crossover points. Consequently, mapped SLA showed better agreement with ηtot at our observation sites. AVISO mapped sea surface height (SSH) products are the preferable dataset for studying SSH variability in the NEC region of the western Pacific, though some portions of hump artifact errors seem to still remain in them.
KeywordsSSH comparison PIES-derived SSH along-track and mapped AVISO SSH hump errors in AVISO SSH NEC region of the western Pacific
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- AVISO (2012) DT CorSSH and DT SLA Product Handbook. CLS-DOS-NT-08.341Google Scholar
- AVISO (2013) SSALTO/DUACS user handbook: (M)SLA and (M)ADT near-real time and delayed time products. CLSDOS-NT-06-034Google Scholar
- AVISO (2014) A new version of SSALTO/Duacs products available in April 2014. https://www.aviso.altimetry.fr/fileadmin/documents/data/duacs/Duacs2014.pdf Accessed 20 Sep 2017
- AVISO (2016a) OSTM/Jason-2 Products Handbook. SALP-MUM-OP-15815-CNGoogle Scholar
- AVISO (2016b) SSALTO/DUACS user handbook: (M)SLA and (M)ADT near-real time and delayed time products. CLSDOS-NT-06-034Google Scholar
- AVISO (2017) OSTM/Jason-2 Products Handbook. SALP-MUM-OP-15815-CNGoogle Scholar
- Chassignet EP, Hurlburt HE, Metzger EJ, Smedstad OM, Cummings JA, Halliwell GR, Bleck R, Baraille R, Wallcraft AJ, Lozano C, Tolman HL, Srinivasan A, Hankin S, Cornillon P, Weisberg R, Barth A, He R, Werner F, Wilkin J (2009) US GODAE: global ocean prediction with the HYbrid Coordinate Ocean Model (HYCOM). Oceanography 22(2):64–75CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Hirose N, Takayama K, Moon JH, Watanabe T, Nishida Y (2013) Regional data assimilation system extended to the East Asian marginal seas. Umi to Sora (Sea and Sky) 89(2):43–51Google Scholar