Behavior and Frequency Analysis of Aurelia aurita by Using in situ Target Strength at a Port in Southwestern Korea
This study was carried out to determine the in situ target strength and behavioral characteristics of moon jellyfish (Aurelia aurita) using two frequencies (38 and 120 kHz) that present a 2- frequency-difference method for distinguishing A. aurita from other marine planktonic organisms. The average TS was shown as -71.9~ -67.9 dB at 38 kHz and -75.5~-66.0 dB at 120 kHz and the average ΔMVBS120-38 kHz was similar at -1.5~3.5 dB. The TS values varied in a range of about 14 dB from -83.3 and -69.0 dB depending on the pulsation of A. aurita. The species moved in a range of -0.1~1.0 m and they mostly moved horizontally with moving speeds of 0.3~0.6 m·s-1. The TS and behavioral characteristics of A. aurita can distinguish the species from others. The acoustic technology can also contribute to understanding the distribution and abundance of the species.
Keywordsbehavioral characteristics target strength frequency analysis Aurelia aurita 2-frequency-difference method
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aoki K, Yamada S, Toyokawa M, Yasuda A, Kikuchi T (2012) Horizontal distribution and growth of jellyfish, Aurelia aurita (Linnaeus 1758) sensu lato, in Mikawa Bay, Japan. Coast Mar Sci 35:103–111Google Scholar
- KOOFS (2009) Korea real time database for NEAR-GOOS. http://www.khoa.go.kr/koofs/kor/observation/obs_real.do Accessed 18 June 2009Google Scholar
- Lynam CP (2006) Ecological and acoustic investigations of jellyfish (Scyphozoa and Hydrozoa). Ph.D. Thesis, University of St Andrews, 255 pGoogle Scholar
- Mukai T, Hirose M, Sawada K, Takahashi H, Iida K (2009) Target strength of moonjelly -variations with pulsation and posture-. In: Proceedings of meeting of the Marine Acoustic Society of Japan 2009, Tokyo, Japan, 18–19 May, pp 19–22Google Scholar
- Murase H, Ichihara M, Yasuma H, Watanabe H, Yonezaki S, Nagashima H, Kawahara S, Miyashita K (2009) Acoustic characterization of biological backscatterings in the Kuroshio- Oyashio inter-frontal zone and subarctic waters of the western North Pacific in spring. Fish Oceanogr 18:386–401CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Toyokawa M, Furota T, Terazaki M (2000) Life history and seasonal abundance of Aurelia aurita medusae in Tokyo Bay, Japan. Plankton Biol Ecol 47:48–58Google Scholar
- Uye S, Ikeda H, Takaio M, Okawachi H, Yoshida A (2010) Spatiotemporal distribution of the giant jellyfish Nemopilema Nomurai in East Asian waters by sighting survey from ferry in 2010. In: The 7th Korea-Japan-China Jellyfish International Workshop, Gyeongju, Korea, 20–22 Dec 2010Google Scholar
- Yoon EA, Hwang DJ, Hirose M, Kim EH, Mukai T, Park BS (2010) Characteristics of acoustic scattering according to pulsation of the large jellyfish Nemopilema nomurai. Korean J Fish Aquat Sci 43:551–556Google Scholar