A novel flotation scheme: selective flotation of tungsten minerals from calcium minerals using Pb–BHA complexes in Shizhuyuan
- 209 Downloads
The similar floatabilities of calcium minerals and the huge difference between scheelite and wolframite have resulted in difficulties during their separation by flotation in Shizhuyuan Mine. In this study, novel collectors, lead complexes of benzohydroxamic acid (Pb–BHA), were introduced to modify the surface properties of scheelite and wolframite, thereby effectively and selectively improving floatability. The Pb–BHA complexes are found to be selective for the separation of scheelite and calcium minerals with little use of depressants and enable the synchronous flotation of scheelite and wolframite. Hence, a novel flotation process was developed for the recovery of tungsten minerals. The process is simplified greatly, and the recovery is improved by almost 10%. Removing or decreasing the amount of water glass contributes to the improvement of tungsten and fluorite recovery and the circulation of water and reagents, which benefits the environment.
KeywordsTungsten minerals Flotation Calcium minerals Benzohydroxamic acid complexes Water glass
This work was financially supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 51634009), the Institutions of Higher Learning Discipline Innovation Conference Program (111 Project) (No. B14034) and the Collaborative Innovation Center for Clean and Efficient Utilization of Strategic Metal Mineral Resources Innovation Driven Plan of Central South University (No. 2015CX005).
- Oliveira JF, Sampaio JA. Development studies for the recovery of Brazilian scheelite fines by froth flotation [A]. Prod Process Fine Part. Proceedings of Metallurgical Society of Canadian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy [C]. Montreal, 1988;209.Google Scholar
- Sivamohan R. Influence of common variables on the shear flocculation of, and oleate adsorption/abstraction by, very fine fluorite and scheelite [A]. Prod Process Fine Part. Proceedings of Metallurgical Society of Canadian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy [C]. Montreal, 1988;337.Google Scholar
- Zhou XT, Lin RX. New technological research on flotation of wolframite and Scheelite using GY chelating collector. Multipurp Util Miner Resour. 2000;2:1.Google Scholar
- Fuerstenau MC, Miller JD, Pray RE. Metal ion activation in xanthate flotation of quartz. Soc Min Eng. 1966;235:359.Google Scholar
- Zhong CG, Gao YF, Qiu XY, Feng QM. The effects of metal ions on wolframite flotation with benzohydroxamic acid. China Tungsten Ind. 2013;28(2):22.Google Scholar
- Sun CY, Cheng XC, Li CG. Shizhuyuan method—a new technology for comprehensive processing of complex multi-metal ore containing W, Bi, Mo and fluorite. Tungsten Ind. 2004;19(5):8.Google Scholar