Modification of fold geometry in Almora Crystalline Shear Zone, Lesser Himalaya, India
- 97 Downloads
The folds generally initiate at several discrete points along a layer or multilayer undergoing compressional forces. These compressional forces often lead to rotation of fold segments and in all such regimes, folds are strongly asymmetrical and are in complete agreement with the direction in which the force is applied and also with the related thrust sheet movement. This paper illustrates the progressive change in fold geometry with increasing compression and ductile shearing using natural example as studied in the Almora Crystalline Zone (ACZ).
The folds in the ACZ have started developing initially by the buckling processes as upright folds with varying degrees of inter-limb angles, which later on with increasing amount of ductile shearing modified in to tight to isoclinal and overturned to recumbent folds.
KeywordsFold geometry Shear zones Almora Crystalline Zone
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Agarwal, K.K. (1986) Some observations on the nature of the Almora Synform with special reference to the southern limb in Mukteshwar-Paharpani area, Kumaun Lesser Himalaya. Geosci. Jour., v. vii(1), pp.43–48.Google Scholar
- Agarwal, K.K. (1994) Tectonic Evolution of the Almora Crystalline Zone, Kumaun Lesser Himalaya: A reinterpretation. Jour. Geol. Soc. India, v.43(1), pp.5–14.Google Scholar
- Agarwal K.K. and Bali, R. (2008) Small-scale deformational structures as significant shear-sense indicators: An example from Almora Crystalline Zone, Kumaun Lesser Himalaya. Earth Sci. India, v. I(III), pp.161–172.Google Scholar
- Agarwal, K.K. and Bhattacharya, A.R. (1987) Structural studies in the Almora Crystalline Zone of the Mukteshwar-Paharpani area, Kumaun Himalaya. In: V. K. Gairola (Ed.), Proc. Nat. Sem. Ter. Orogeny in Indian Subcontinent Varanasi, pp.1–9.Google Scholar
- Bali, R. and Agarwal, K.K. (1999) Microstructures of Mylonites in the Almora Crystalline Zone, Kumaun Lesser Himalaya. Gond. Res. Gr. Mem., v.6, pp.111–116.Google Scholar
- Bali, R. and Bhattacharya, A.R. (1988) Geological and Structural studies of the rocks of the Dwarahat-Chaukhutia area, Kumaun Lesser Himalaya with special reference to the North Almora Fault. Geosci. Jour.,v.ix, pp. 215–230.Google Scholar
- Bhattacharya, A.R. and Agarwal, K.K. (1985) Mylonites from the Kumaun Lesser Himalaya. Neu. Jahr. für Miner. Abh., v.152(1), pp.65–77.Google Scholar
- Bhattacharya, A.R. and Agarwal, K.K. (1989) Strain analysis and fold shape modification in a crystalline complex of the Lesser Himalaya. Krystallinikum, v.20, pp.7–25.Google Scholar
- Gansser, A. (1964) Geology of Himalaya. Interscience, London, 289p.Google Scholar
- Mehdi, S. H., Kumar, G. and Praksh, G. (1972) Tectonic evolution of Eastern Kumaun Himalaya: A new approach. Him. Geol., v.2, pp.481–501.Google Scholar
- Merh, S.S. and Vashi, N.M. (1976) The problem of the South Almora Thrust. Him. Geol., v.6, pp. 508–516.Google Scholar
- Misra, R.C. and Sharma, R.P. (1972) Structure of Almora Crystalline, Lesser Kumaun Himalaya. An interpretation. Him. Geol., v.2, pp.330–341.Google Scholar
- Ramsay, J.G. and Graham, R.H. (1970) Strain variation in shear belts. Can. Jour. Earth Sci., v.7, pp.786–813.Google Scholar
- Ramsay, J.G. and Huber, M.I. (1987) The techniques of modern structural geology. v.2: Folds and Fractures, 700p.Google Scholar
- Srikantia, S.V. (1988) Himalayan thrusts and structural belts. Jour. Geol. Soc. India, v.31(2), pp.210–229.Google Scholar
- Srivastava, H.B and Tripathy, N.R. (2005) Shear zone structures from the Main Central Thrust Zone of the Joshimath area Garhwal Himalaya. In: A.R. Bhattacharya, and K.K. Agarwal (Eds.), Himalayan Orogen Foreland Interaction. Pal. Soc. India, Spec. Publ., no.2, pp.53–64.Google Scholar
- Valdiya, K.S. (1979) An outline of the structural set-up of the Kumaun Himalayas. Jour. Geol. Soc. India, v.20, pp.145–151.Google Scholar
- Valdiya, K.S. (1980) Geology of the Kumaun Lesser Himalaya. Wadia Inst. Him. Geol., Dehradun, 291p.Google Scholar