A Nonparametric Approach to Design Fixed-order Controllers for Systems with Constrained Input
- 28 Downloads
This paper presents an approach for designing fixed-structure controllers for input-constrained linear systems using frequency domain data. In conventional control approaches, a plant model is needed to design a suitable controller that meets some user-specified performance specifications. Mathematical models can be built based on fundamental laws or from a set of measurements. In both cases, it is difficult to find a simple and reliable model that completely describes the system behavior. Hence, errors associated with the plant modeling stage may contribute to the degradation of the desired closed-loop performance. Due to the fact that the modeling stage can be viewed only as an intermediate step introduced for the controller design, the concept of data-based control design has been introduced, where controllers are directly designed from measurements. Most existing data-based control approaches are developed for linear systems, which limit their application to systems with nonlinear phenomena. An important non-smooth nonlinearity observed in practical applications is the input saturation, which usually limits the system performance. Here, we attempt to develop a nonparametric approach to design controllers from frequency-domain data by taking into account input constraints. Two practical applications of the proposed method are presented to demonstrate its efficacy.
KeywordsActuator saturation constrained optimization data-based control frequency response energy consumption safe process operation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- M. Athans, C. E. Rohrs, L. Valavani, and G. Stein, “Robustness of adaptive control algorithms in the presence of unmodelled dynamics,” IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, pp. 3–11, 1982.Google Scholar
- J. D. Rojas and R. Vilanova, “Data-driven robust PID tuning toolbox,” IFAC Conference on Advances in PID Control, Brescia, Italy, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 134–139, 2012.Google Scholar
- P. Kallakuri, L. H. Keel, and S. P. Bhattacharyya, “Data based design of PID controllers for a magnetic levitation experiment,” Proceedings of the 18th IFAC World Congress, Milano, Italy, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 10231–10236, 2011.Google Scholar
- A. J. den Hamer, Data-driven Optimal Controller Synthesis: A Frequency Domain Approach, PhD thesis, Technische Universiteit Eindhoven, ISBN: 978-90-386-2338-2, 2010.Google Scholar
- N. Mohsenizadeh, S. Darbha, L. H. Keel, and S. P. Bhattacharyya, “Model-free synthesis of fixed structure stabilizing controllers using the rate of change of phase,” IFAC Conference on Advances in PID Control, Brescia, Italy, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 745–750, 2012.Google Scholar