Design of feedback control for quadrotors considering signal transmission delays
For quadrotor types of unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), existence of transmission delays caused by wireless communication is one of the critical challenges. Estimation of the delays and analysis of their effects are not straightforward for designing controllers. An estimation method is introduced using experimental data and analytical solutions of delay differential equations (DDEs). Collected altitude responses in the time domain are compared to the predicted ones obtained from the analytical solutions. The Lambert W function-based approach for first-order DDEs is used for such analysis. The dominant characteristic roots among infinite number of roots are obtained in terms of coefficients and the delay. The effects of the time delay on the responses are analysed through the locations of the characteristic roots in the complex plane. Based on the estimation result, proportional plus velocity controllers are proposed to improve transient altitude responses.
KeywordsDelay differential equation delay estimation Lambert W function quadrotor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- G. Vásárhelyi, C. Virágh, G. Somorjai, N. Tarcai, T. Szorenyi, T. Nepusz, and Vicsek, T. “Outdoor flocking and formation flight with autonomous aerial robots,” Proc. of the 2014 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS 2014), pp. 3866–3873, 2014.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- G.-W. Shin, Y.-J. Song, T.-B. Lee, and H.-K. Choi, “Genetic algorithm for identification of time delay systems from step responses,” Int. J. Control, Automation and Systems, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 79–85, 2007.Google Scholar
- S. Armah and S. Yi, “Altitude regulation of quadrotor types of UAVs considering communication delays,” Proc. of the IFACWorkshop on Time Delay Systems, pp. 263–268, 2015.Google Scholar
- W. B. Randal, “Quadrotor dynamics and control Rev 0.1,” All Faculty Publications, Paper 1325 from http://scholarsarchive.byu.edu/facpub/1325, 2008.Google Scholar
- B. Svante and L. Ljung, “A survey and comparison of timedelay estimation methods in linear systems,” Proc. of the 42nd IEEE Conf. Decision and Control, pp. 2502–2507, 2003.Google Scholar
- W. J. Palm, System dynamics, 2nd ed., McGraw-Hill, Boston, 2010.Google Scholar
- S. K. Armah, Adaptive Control for Autonomous Navigation of Mobile Robots Considering Time Delay and Uncertainty, Doctoral dissertation, North Carolina A&T State University, 2015.Google Scholar
- Mathworks, Choosing a Solver, from http://www.mathworks.com/help/optim/ug/choosing-a-solver.html, 2015.Google Scholar