Pattern recognition using feature feedback: Application to face recognition
- 191 Downloads
In this paper, we propose a new pattern recognition method using feature feedback and present its application to face recognition. Conventional pattern recognition methods extract the features employed for classification using PCA, LDA and so on. On the other hand, in the proposed method, the extracted features are analyzed in the original space using feature feedback. Using reverse mapping from the extracted features to the original space, we can identify the important part of the original data that affects the classification. In this way, we can modify the data to obtain a higher classification rate, make it more compact or abbreviate the required sensors. To verify the applicability of the proposed method, we apply it to face recognition using the Yale Face Database. Each face image is divided into two parts, the important part and unimportant part, using feature feedback, and the classification performed using the feature mask obtained from feature feedback. Also, we combine face recognition with image compression. The experimental results show that the proposed method works well.
KeywordsFeature feedback feature extraction face recognition feature mask region differential JPEG compression
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- P. J. B. Hancock, A. M. Burton, and V. Bruce, “Face processing: human perception and principal component analysis,” Memory and Cognition, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 26–40, 1996.Google Scholar
- K. Fukunaga, Introduction to Statistical Pattern Recognition, 2nd ed., Academic Press, 1990.Google Scholar
- R. C. Gonzales and R. E. Woods, Digital Image Processing, 2nd ed., Prentice Hall, 2002.Google Scholar
- Y. Pang, L. Zhang, M. Li, Z. Liu, and W. Ma, “A novel Gabor-LDA based face recognition method,” Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 3331, pp. 352–358, 2004.Google Scholar
- E. Kokiopoulou and P. Frossard, “Classification specific feature sampling for face recognition,” Proc. of IEEE Workshop on Multimedia Signal Processing, pp. 20–23, 2006.Google Scholar
- S.-I. Choi, C.-H. Choi, and G.-M. Jeong, “Pixel selection in a face image based on discriminant features for face recognition,” Proc. of IEEE Int’l Conf. Automatic Face and Gesture Recognition, pp. 1–6, 2008.Google Scholar
- Center for Computational Vision and Control, Yale University, The Yale Face Database, http://cvc.yale.edu/projects/yalefaces/yalefaces.html.