Race, Education, and the Pursuit of Equality in the Twenty-First Century
- 624 Downloads
- ACT (2014). The condition of college and career readiness 2014: National. http://www.act.org/research/policymakers/cccr14/pdf/CCCR14-NationalReadinessRpt.pdf
- Alexander, M. (2010). The new Jim Crow: Mass incarceration in the age of colorblindness. New York, NY: The New Press.Google Scholar
- Auerbach, J. A., Krimgold, B. K., & Lefkowitz, B. (2000). Improving health: It doesn’t take a revolution. Washington, DC: National Policy Association.Google Scholar
- Barry, E. (2011, August 31). Who says education reform is the ‘civil rights issue of our time’? http://editbarry.wordpress.com/2011/08/31/who-says-education-reform-is-the-'civil-rights-issue-of-our-time'/.
- Barton, P. E., & Coley, R. J. (2010). The black-white achievement gap: When progress stopped. Princeton, NJ: Educational Testing Service.Google Scholar
- Bell, D. (2004). Silent covenants: Brown v Board of Education and the unfulfilled hopes for racial reform. New York, NY: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka, 347 U.S. 483 (1954).Google Scholar
- Clark, W. A. V. (1998). The California cauldron. New York, NY: The Guilford Press.Google Scholar
- Coates, T. (2014). The case for reparations. The Atlantic. http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2014/05/the-case-for-reparations/361631/.
- Council for Children with Behavioral Disorders (2012). CCBD’S position summary on federal policy on disproportionality in special education. http://www.indiana.edu/~equity/docs/CCBD_Policy_Disproportionality.pdf
- Donovan, M. S., & Cross, C. T. (Eds.). (2002). Minority students in special and gifted education. Washington, DC: National Academies Press.Google Scholar
- Du Bois, W. E. B. (1903). The souls of black folk. Chicago, IL: A.C. McClurg and Co.Google Scholar
- García, E. (2005). Teaching and learning in two languages: Bilingualism and schooling in the United States. New York, NY: Teachers College Press.Google Scholar
- Garland, S. (2013). Divided we fail: The story of an African American community that ended the era of school desegregation. Boston, MA: Beacon Press.Google Scholar
- Guryan, J. (2001) Does money matter? Regression-discontinuity estimates from education finance reform in Massachusetts. Working paper 8269. Cambridge, MA: National Bureau of Economic Research. http://www.nber.org/papers/w8269.pdf
- Hacker, A. (1992). Two nations: Black and white, separate, hostile, unequal. New York, NY: Scribner.Google Scholar
- Jaynes, G. D., & Williams, R. M. (Eds.). (1989). A common destiny: Blacks and American society. Washington, DC: National Academy Press.Google Scholar
- Jones, D. (2014). Beware of education reformers who co-opt the language of the civil rights movement. emPower. http://www.empowermagazine.com/beware-education-reformers-co-opt-language-civil-rights-movement/.
- Kozol, J. (1991). Savage inequalities. New York, NY: Crown Publishers.Google Scholar
- Lee Jr., J.M., & Ransom, T. (2011). The educational experience of young men of color: A review of research, pathways and progress. The College Board: Advocacy and Policy Center. https://youngmenofcolor.collegeboard.org/sites/default/files/downloads/EEYMC-ResearchReport.pdf.
- Losen, D. J., & Martinez, T. E. (2013). Out of school & off track: The overuse of suspensions in American middle and high schools. The Center for Civil Rights Remedies at UCLA, Civil Rights Project/Proyecto Derechos Civiles. http://civilrightsproject.ucla.edu/resources/projects/center-for-civil-rights-remedies/school-to-prison-folder/federal-reports/out-of-school-and-off-track-the-overuse-of-suspensions-in-american-middle-and-high-schools/OutofSchool-OffTrack_UCLA_4-8.pdf.
- Lukas, J. A. (1986). Common ground: A turbulent decade in the lives of three American families. New York, NY: Random House.Google Scholar
- Massey, D. (1998). America’s apartheid and the urban underclass. In F. L. Pincus & H. J. Ehrlich (Eds.), Race and ethnic conflict: Contending views on prejudice, discrimination, and ethnoviolence. Boulder, CO: Westview Press.Google Scholar
- Milliken v. Bradley, 418 U.S. 717 (1974).Google Scholar
- Murphey, D., Guzman, L., & Torres, A. (2014). America’s Hispanic children: Gaining ground, looking forward. Publication #2014-38. Child Trends Hispanic Institute. http://www.childtrends.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/2014-38AmericaHispanicChildren.pdf.
- Myrdal, G. (1944). An American dilemma: The Negro problem and modern democracy. New York, NY: Harper and Brothers.Google Scholar
- Omi, M., & Winant, H. (1986). Racial formation in the United States. New York, NY: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Orfield, G., & Eaton, S. E. (1996). Dismantling desegregation. New York, NY: New Press.Google Scholar
- Orfield, G. & Frankenberg, E, Ee, J., & Kuscera, J. (2014). Brown at 60: Great progress, a long retreat and an uncertain future. Los Angeles, CA: The Civil Rights Project/Proyecto Derechos Civiles. http://civilrightsproject.ucla.edu/research/k-12-education/integration-and-diversity/brown-at-60-great-progress-a-long-retreat-and-an-uncertain-future/Brown-at-60-051814.pdf.
- Orfield, G., Kucsera, J., & Siegel-Hawley, G. (2012). E Pluribus…separation: Deepening double segregation for more students. Los Angeles, CA: The Civil Rights Project/Proyecto Derechos Civiles. http://civilrightsproject.ucla.edu/research/k-12-education/integration-and-diversity/mlk-national/e-pluribus…separation-deepening-double-segregation-for-more-students/orfield_epluribus_revised_omplete_2012.pdf.
- Orfield, G., & Lee, C. (2006). Racial transformation and the changing nature of segregation. Cambridge, MA: The Civil Rights Project at Harvard University.Google Scholar
- Parents Involved in Community Schools v. Seattle School District No. 1, 551 U.S. 701 (2007).Google Scholar
- Ravitch, D. (2012). Is education the civil rights issue of our day? http://dianeravitch.net/2012/08/30/is-education-the-civil-rights-issue-of-our-day/.
- Ravitch, D. (2013). Reign of error: The hoax of the privatization movement and the danger to America’s public schools. New York, NY: Knopf.Google Scholar
- Rogers, S. (2013). The Civil Rights movement of our time? Not yet. http://www.teachforamerica.org/blog/civil-rights-movement-our-time-not-yet.
- Rothstein, R. (2004). Class and schools: Using social, economic, and educational reform to close the black-white achievement gap. Washington, DC and New York, NY: Economic Policy Institute and Teachers College Press.Google Scholar
- Rothstein, R. (2014). The making of Ferguson: Public policies at the root of its troubles. Washington, DC: Economic Policy Institute.Google Scholar
- United States Census Bureau (2014). Interactive report based on Current Population Survey data showing voting and registration by age, sex, race, etc. Voting Hot Report 1996–2012. http://thedataweb.rm.census.gov/TheDataWeb_HotReport2/voting/voting.hrml.
- U.S. Department of Education (2011). Baseline analyses of SIG applications and SIG-eligible and SIG-awarded schools NCEE 2011-4019. http://ies.ed.gov/ncee/pubs/20114019/pdf/20114019.pdf.
- U.S. Department of Education (2012). School improvement grants: Analyses of state applications and eligible and awarded schools. NCEE 2012-4060. http://ies.ed.gov/ncee/pubs/20124060/pdf/20124060.pdf.
- U.S. Department of Justice, Civil Rights Division and the U.S. Department of Education, & Office of Civil Rights (2014). Dear colleague letter: Nondiscriminatory administration of school discipline. http://www.justice.gov/crt/about/edu/documents/dcl.pdf.
- Wacquant, L. (2009). Prisons of poverty. Minneapolis, MN: University of Minnesota Press.Google Scholar
© Springer Science+Business Media New York 2014