Monitoring the Evolution of Crazing Damage in an Area under Stress Concentration via Acoustic Emission
- 42 Downloads
In this study, we designed a special stress concentration specimen. We studied the stress, strain, craze density, and the change trend in the rate of acoustic emission events in the area with the most intense craze damage. We also examined the evolution of crazing damage under continuous loading. We determined the one-to-one correspondence between crazing and the degree of triaxial stress, and used the finite element method to validate this correspondence. In addition, we analyzed the viscoelasticity area of the specimen and proposed the fracture criteria for crazes and microcracks.
KeywordsCraze Stress Strain Acoustic emission Load
stress intensity factor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 8.Vergeynst, L. L., Sause, M. G., Hamstad, M. A., and Steppe, K., “Deciphering Acoustic Emission Signals in Drought Stressed Branches: The Missing Link Between Source and Sensor,” Frontiers in Plant Science, Vol. 6, Article No. 494, 2015.Google Scholar
- 10.Koslowski, M., LeSar, R., and Thomson, R., “Avalanches and Scaling in Plastic Deformation,” Physical Review Letters, Vol. 93, No. 12, Paper No. 125502, 2004.Google Scholar
- 12.Vanniamparambil, P. A., Bartoli, I., Hazeli, K., Cuadra, J., Schwartz, E., Saralaya, R., and Kontsos, A., “An Integrated Structural Health Monitoring Approach for Crack Growth Monitoring,” Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, Vol. 23, No. 14, pp. 1563–1573, 2012.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Máthis, K., Capek, J., Clausen, B., Krajnák, T., and Nagarajan, D., “Investigation of the Dependence of Deformation Mechanisms on Solute Content in Polycrystalline Mg-Al Magnesium Alloys by Neutron Diffraction and Acoustic Emission,” Journal of Alloys and Compounds, Vol. 642, pp. 185–191, 2015.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.Loutas, T., Vavouliotis, A., Karapappas, P., and Kostopoulos, V., “Fatigue Damage Monitoring in Carbon Fiber Reinforced Polymers Using the Acousto-Ultrasonics Technique,” Polymer Composites, Vol. 31, No. 8, pp. 1409–1417, 2010.Google Scholar
- 21.Ichinomiya, T., Obayashi, I., and Hiraoka, Y., “Persistent Homology Analysis of Craze Formation,” Physical Review E, Vol. 95, No. 1, Paper No. 012504, 2017.Google Scholar