Effect of Welding Time on Resistance Spot Weldability of Aluminum 5052 Alloy
- 236 Downloads
In the study, the effect of welding time on resistance spot weldability of aluminum 5052-H32 alloy was analyzed through simulation and experiments. The resistance spot weldability was evaluated by measuring the tensile shear strength, nugget size, and hardness of welds with variations in the welding time. The simulated results of parameters such as tensile shear strength and nugget size obtained using the SORPAS program were compared with the experimental results. Furthermore, a simulation was performed to calculate the temperature inside the weld nugget based on the distance from the center of the nugget. Hence, an optimum welding time to retain the required weld strength of the aluminum 5052-H32 alloy was obtained.
KeywordsResistance spot welding (RSW) Aluminum alloy Finite element method Tensile shear strength Nugget size
This work was supported by funding from the Korea Institute of Industrial Technology.
- 2.W. Leitermann, J. Christlein, in The 2nd-generation Audi Space Frame of the A2: A Trendsetting Allaluminium Car Body Concept in a Compact Class Car. Seoul 2000 FISITA World Automotive Congress, June 12–15, 2000, Seoul, KoreaGoogle Scholar
- 3.Y. Komatsu, K. Ban, T. Ito, Y. Muraoka, T. Yahaba, K. Yasunaga, M. Shiokawa, SAE technical paper 910548, SAE International, Warrendale (1991)Google Scholar
- 4.W. Yuan, R.S. Mishra, S. Webb, Y.L. Chen, B. Carlson, D.R. Herling, G.J. Grant, J. Mater. Process. Technol. 211, 927–977 (2011)Google Scholar
- 6.P. Briskham, N. Blundell, L. Han, R. Hewitt, K. Young, D. Boomer, SAE technical paper 2006-01-0774, SAE International, Warrendale (2006)Google Scholar
- 9.X. Sun, E.V. Stephens, M.A. Khaleel, H. Shao, M. Kimchi, Weld. J. 83, 188s–195s (2004)Google Scholar
- 12.R.S. Florea, K.N. Solanki, Y. Hammi, in An Experimental Study of Mechanical Behavior of Resistance Spot Welded Aluminum 6061-T6 Joints, ASME 2010 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, Vancouver, Canada, vol. 9, November 12–18, 2010Google Scholar
- 17.D. Sigler, B.E. Carlson, P. Janiak, Weld. J. 92, 64–72 (2013)Google Scholar
- 19.C.V. Nielsen, A.F. Paulo A.F. Martins, W. Zhang, N.O. Bay, Numerical methods in simulation of resistance welding. in Proceedings of the VI International Conference on Coupled Problems in Science and Engineering, Venice, Italy, pp. 322–333 (2015)Google Scholar
- 21.A. Gean, S.A. Westgate, J.C. Kucza, J.C. Ehrstrom, Weld. J. 78, 80s–86s (1999)Google Scholar