Baited videos to assess semi-aquatic mammals: occurrence of the neotropical otter Lontra longicaudis (Carnivora: Mustelidae) in a marine coastal island in São Paulo, Southeast Brazil
A new record of the neotropical otter (Lontra longicaudis) in the marine environment near the rocky reef of a coastal island in Brazil is described here, being the first published report of a semi-aquatic mammal by baited remote underwater video system. This species is not usually sighted in marine waters away from the mainland coast, and it has never been reported in this environment in this region. This individual may have increased its feeding grounds further offshore as food resources close to the mainland are reduced. Baited videos present a relatively low cost option to understand better these animals existing in different habitats, improving the monitoring for these species and providing valuable information on their distribution, habitat use, and life history.
KeywordsBRUV Mammalia Estuaries Southwestern Atlantic
The authors are thankful to the Chico Mendes Institute for Biodiversity Conservation (ICMBio) for the permits and field support and also to the Universo Marinho Dive Company for sampling assistance and equipment. We also thank the anonymous reviewer for improving the paper and BSc. Todd Bond from the University of Western Australia for the valuable contributions in the text.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
This article does not contain any studies with animals performed by any of the authors.
Sampling and field studies
All necessary permits for sampling and observational field studies have been obtained by the authors from the competent authorities and are mentioned in the acknowledgements.
- Alarcon GG, Simões-Lopes PC (2003) Preserved versus degraded coastal environments: a case study of the neotropical otter in the environmental protection area of Anhatomirim, southern Brazil. IUCN otter spec. Group Bull. 20:6–18Google Scholar
- Alarcon GG, Simões-Lopes PC (2004) The neotropical otter Lontra longicaudis feeding habits in a marine coastal area, southern Brazil. IUCN otter spec. Group Bull 21:24–30Google Scholar
- Blacher C (1987) Ocorrência e preservação de Lutra longicaudis (Mammalia: Mustelidae) no litoral de Santa Catarina. Boletim da Fundação Brasileira para Conservação da Natureza 22:105–117Google Scholar
- Cappo M, Harvey E, Shortis M (2006) Counting and measuring fish with baited video techniques—an overview. In: Lyle JM, Furlani DM, Buxton CD (eds) Australian Society for Fish Biology Workshop Proceedings. Australian Society for Fish Biology, Tasmania, pp 101–114Google Scholar
- Carvalho-Junior O, Banevicius NMS, Mafra EO (2006) Distribution and characterization of environments used by otters in the coastal region of Santa Catarina State, Brazil. J Coast Res Special Issue 39:1087–1089Google Scholar
- Carvalho-Junior O, Fillipini A, Salvador C (2012) Distribution of neotropical otter, Lontra longicaudis (Olfers, 1818) (Mustelidae) in coastal islands of Santa Catarina. Southern Brazil IUCN Otter Spec Group Bull 29:95–108Google Scholar
- Chehébar CE (1990) Action plan for Latin American otters. In: Foster-Turley PA, Macdonald S, Mason C (eds) Otters: an action plan for their conservation. IUCN/SSC Otter Specialist Group, Gland, pp 64–73Google Scholar
- Cheida CC, Nakano-Oliveira E, Fusco-Costa R et al (2006) Ordem Carnivora. In: Reis NR, Peracchi AL, Pedro WA, Lima IP (eds) Mamíferos do Brasil. Nelio R. dos Reis, Londrina, pp 231–276Google Scholar
- Kruuk H (2006) Otters: ecology, behaviour and conservation. OUP OxfordGoogle Scholar
- Lariviere S (1999) Lontra longicaudis. Mamm Species 609:1–5Google Scholar
- Parera A (1993) The neotropical river otter Lutra longicaudis in Iberá lagoon, Argentina. IUCN otter spec. Group Bull. 8:13–16Google Scholar
- Quadros J, de Araújo Monteiro-Filho EL (2002) Sprainting sites of the neotropical otter, Lontra longicaudis, in an Atlantic Forest area of southern Brazil. Mastozool Neotrop 9:39–46Google Scholar
- Rheingantz ML, Trinca CS (2015) Lontra longicaudis. In: The IUCN Red List of Threatened Species 2015: e.T12304A21937379. https://doi.org/10.2305/IUCN.UK.2015-2.RLTS.T12304A21937379.en. Accessed 28 Nov 2017
- Rheingantz ML, Oliveira-Santos LG, Waldemarin HF, Pellegrini Caramaschi E (2012) Are otters generalists or do they prefer larger, slower prey? Feeding flexibility of the neotropical otter Lontra longicaudis in the Atlantic Forest. IUCN Otter Spec Group Bull 29(2):80–94Google Scholar
- Rodrigues LA, Leuchtenberger C, Kasper CB et al (2013) Avaliação do risco de extinção da lontra neotropical Lontra longicaudis (Olfers, 1818) no Brasil. Avaliação do Estado de Conservação dos Carnívoros–ICMBio/IBAMA Biodiversidade Brasileira 3:216–227Google Scholar