Robust Point Correspondence with Gabor Scale-Invariant Feature Transform for Optical Satellite Image Registration
- 72 Downloads
In this paper, a robust point correspondence algorithm is proposed to address the problems with SIFT-like methods for the optical satellite image registration. SIFT-like methods involve two issues that are rarely noticed: non-orientation selectivity in feature detection and feature redundancy in feature description. The novelty of the proposed approach is that the advantages of biologically motivated methods are adopted to resolve above two problems. Firstly, by using a 2D Gabor filter bank to model the visual cognitive computational model, intuitive and robust keypoints are detected. The proposed detector can capture salient visual properties such as the orientation and spatial frequency selectivity. Secondly, multi-characteristic scales of the keypoints are selected based on the Gabor kernel function, and then multi-feature descriptors with high discriminating power are defined. By using the proposed detector and descriptor, the feature redundancy can translate into benefits. Finally, a feature matching strategy for multi-feature descriptors is designed, to improve the reliability of feature matching. Evaluation criteria of 1-precision, RMSE and visual inspection of the matched pairs are used to demonstrate the superior performance of the proposed algorithm on optical satellite image registration.
KeywordsImage registration Scale-invariant feature transform (SIFT) Feature detection Feature description Gabor
Funding was provided by Hunan Provincial Innovation Foundation for Postgraduate (Grant No. CX2014B021), Fund of Innovation of NUDT Graduate School (Grant No. B140406), and Hunan Provincial Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant No. 2015JJ3018).
- Csapo, A. B., Roka, A., & Baranyi, P. (2006). Visual cortex inspired vertex and corner detection. In Proceedings of international conference on mechatronics (pp. 551–556), 3–5 July 2006. Budapest: IEEE.Google Scholar
- Gao, X., Sattar, F. & Venkateswarlu, R. (2004). Corner detection of gray level images using Gabor wavelets. In Proceedings of international conference on image processing (ICIP) (Vol. 4, pp. 2669–2672), 24–27 Oct 2004. Singapore: IEEE.Google Scholar
- Goshtasby, A. A. (2005). 2-D and 3-D image registration: For medical, remote sensing, and industrial applications. Hoboken: Wiley-Interscience.Google Scholar
- Hubel, D. (1995). Eye, brain, and vision. New York: Scientific American Library.Google Scholar
- Ke, Y., & Sukthankar, R. (2004). PCA-SIFT: A more distinctive representation for local image descriptors. In Proceedings of the IEEE computer society conference on computer vision and pattern recognition (CVPR) (Vol. 2, pp. 506–513), 27 June–2 July, 2004. IEEE: Washington.Google Scholar
- Lindeberg, T. (1998a). Principles for automatic scale selection. In B. Jähne et al. (Eds.), Handbook on Computer Vision and Applications (Vol. 2, pp. 239–274). Boston: Academic Press.Google Scholar
- Lowe, D. G. (1999). Object recognition from local scale-invariant features. In Proceedings of the international conference on computer vision (ICCV) (Vol. 2, pp. 1150–1157), 20–25 Sept 1999. Kerkyra: IEEE.Google Scholar
- Moreno, P., Bernardino, A., & Santos-Victor, J. (2005). Gabor parameter selection for local feature detection. In Proceedings of 2nd Iberian conference on pattern recognition and image analysis (IBPRIA) (Vol. 1, pp. 11–19), 7–9 June 2005, Estoril, Portugal. Berlin: Springer.Google Scholar
- Witkin, A. P. (1983). Scale-space filtering. In Proceedings of the international joint conference on Artificial intelligence (IJCAI) (Vol. 2, pp. 1019–1022), 8-12 Aug 1983, Karlsruhe, West Germany. San Francisco: Morgan Kaufmann Publishers Inc.Google Scholar
- Xu, W., Huang, X., Liu, Y., & Zhang, W. (2011). A local characteristic scale seletction method based on Gabor wavelets. Journal of Image and Graphics, 16(1), 72–78. (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Xu, W., Huang, X. & Zhang, W. (2009). A multi-scale visual salient feature points extraction method based on Gabor wavelets. In Proceedings of IEEE international conference on robotics and biomimetics (ROBIO) (pp. 1205–1208), 19–23 Dec 2009. Guilin: IEEE.Google Scholar