A safe depillaring design for shallow depth of cover with influence of surface ground movements: a study in Jharia Coalfield
- 18 Downloads
Extraction of coal from a shallow depth of cover especially under multi-seam mining condition requires intensive precautions in respect to safe working and impact on surface structures. A detailed geotechnical investigation is imperative for the design of a suitable support system during depillaring operation. A study has been exercised in Maheshpur colliery of Jharia Coalfield to assess the stability between the parting of VIIIA and VIIIB seams through numerical modeling. The support systems have been framed for split galleries, slices, and goaf edges with the help of well-established Central Mining Research Institute-Indian School of Mines rock mass rating (CMRI-ISM RMR) and NGI-Q system. A suitable method of depillaring has been designed keeping in view the safety of surface structures in respect to subsidence.
KeywordsRMR RQD Rock load Support design Subsidence
The authors thank the Director, CSIR-Central Institute of Mining and Fuel Research, Dhanbad, for permitting to publish the paper. The views expressed in this paper are those of authors and not necessarily of the organization they represent.
- Anon (1987) Geomechanical classification of roof rocks vis-à-vis roof supports. S&T Project report, March, 125 pGoogle Scholar
- Anon (1990) Report of the expert group on guidelines to drawing up support plans in bord & pillar workings in coal mines. Directorate General of Mines Safety, May, pp 12–13Google Scholar
- Anon (1999) Subsidence studies for development of models with special reference to multi-seam mining in India. Coal S&T Project report, Central Mining Research Institute, 126 pGoogle Scholar
- Bieniawski ZT (1976) Rock mass classification in rock engineering. In exploration for rock engineering, Proceedings of the Symposium, edn Bieniawski ZT, Cape Town, Balkema, 1:97–106Google Scholar
- FLAC 3D (1997) Itasca Manuals, Itasca Consulting Group, Inc, USAGoogle Scholar
- Hartman HL (1992) SME mining engineering handbook. Society of mining, metallurgy and exploration, Inc. Port City Press, BaltimoreGoogle Scholar
- Sheorey PR (1997) Empirical rock failure criteria, Balkema AA, Rotterdam, BrookfieldGoogle Scholar
- Singh RD (2007) Principles and practices of modern coal mining (chapter 13). New Age International LimitedGoogle Scholar
- Sinha AK, Battacharjee B, Sharma R (2003) Role of resin bolting in strata management in Indian coal mines—a synoptic overview. National seminar on Geomechanics and Ground Control, pp 3–39Google Scholar