The Potential of Sugarcane Bioenergy in Fiji
- 434 Downloads
Biomass production, utilization and losses from 1993 to 2012 were analysed in Fiji. Total theoretical annual average biomass potential is 83 PJ. Sugarcane alone is capable of generating potential energy of 52 PJ annually, and 137.64 million litres of ethanol could be produced from sugarcane, cassava and sweet potatoes per annum. Sugarcane (excluding the local sugar consumption) has the potential to produce 129.25 million litres of ethanol which is 29 % more than the total gasohol imported in 2010. Bagasse has the potential to generate 8.2 PJ of energy in Fiji.
KeywordsBiomass Bioethanol Energy Residues Production Fiji
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
Dr. Chandra has nothing to disclose.
- Anonymous. 2004. Overview data for Fiji. www.eia.gov. Accessed 2014.
- Anonymous. 2007. Fiji Islands Government Gazette Supplement. In Trade standards (fuel standards) order 2007. Ministry of Industry Trade and Tourism. http://www.mit.gov.fj/index.php/divisions/department-of-national-trade-measurement-standards/laws-enforced-by-the-department.
- Anonymous. 2009. History of sugar in Fiji. http://www.fsc.com.fj/history_of_sugar_in_fiji.htm. Accessed 2013.
- Anonymous. 2011. Trade standards (fuel standards) national biodiesel and ethanol fuel standards (amendment) order 2011. Ministry of Industry Trade and Tourism. http://www.mit.gov.fj/index.php/divisions/department-of-national-trade-measurement-standards/laws-enforced-by-the-department.
- Anonymous. 2012. Land tenure—Fiji. http://www.townplanning.gov.fj/index.php/planning/planning-issues/land-tenure. Accessed 25th, June 2014.
- Anonymous. 2014a. Ethanol. http://www.tradingeconomics.com/commodity/ethanol. Accessed 20 April 2014.
- Anonymous. 2014b. The World Factbook. https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/fj.html. Accessed 25 June 2014.
- Dean, Nizam-ud. 2012. FEA annual report: Fiji Electricity Authority.Google Scholar
- Dunlap, Richard A. 2014. Sustainable energy, 1st ed. Canada: Cengage Learning.Google Scholar
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations http://faostat.fao.org/. Accessed 9 April 2014.
- Fiji Bureau of Statistics. 2012. Sugar industry production and prices. www.statsfiji.gov.fj.
- Harvey, Leslie Daryl Danny. 2010. Carbon-free energy supply. London: Earthscan.Google Scholar
- Khan, Abdul. 2009. 10-year statistical review. In 2009 annual report. http://fsc.com.fj/AnnualReport.html.
- Khan, Abdul. 2011. Annual report 2011. http://fsc.com.fj/AnnualReport.html.
- Kishore, V.V.N., and S.N. Srinivas. 2003. Biofuels of India. Journal of Scientific and Industrial Research 62: 106–123.Google Scholar
- Nakavulevu, P. 2013. Promoting renewable energy policies in Fiji. S7: 1–30. http://www.irena.org/DocumentDownloads/events/Workshop_Accelerated_Renewable_Energy_Deployment/Session7/S7_2IRENA-RenewableEnergy-Fiji-Final.pdf
- Rosillo-Calle, Frank, Peter De Groot, and S.L. Hemstock. 2006a. Appendices. In Biomass assessment handbook, ed. F. Rosillo-Calle, Peter de Groot, S.L. Hemstock, and Jeremy Woods. London: Earthscan.Google Scholar
- Rosillo-Calle, Frank, Peter De Groot, and S.L. Hemstock. 2006b. General introduction to the basis of biomass assessment methodology. In Biomass assessment handbook, ed. F. Rosillo-Calle, Peter de Groot, S.L. Hemstock, and Jeremy Woods. London: Earthscan.Google Scholar
- Wikipedia. 2014. Energy content of biofuel. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_content_of_biofuel. Accessed 7 Oct 2014.