The micronutrient content of traditional Greek foods
- 86 Downloads
In the context of the EURRECA project (EURopean micronutrient RECommendations Aligned), we have estimated the micronutrient content of traditional Greek foods in relation to international recommendations. Many of these foods showed a rich micronutrient profile and a file was developed listing a total of 137 traditional Greek foods and dishes. This work indicates that in order to meet micronutrient requirements, a simple solution would be to adhere to traditional dietary patterns, at least for the Mediterranean populations, and reinstate traditional foods into the daily diet.
KeywordsTraditional foods Micronutrients Recommended Dietary Allowance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.World Cancer Research Fund/American Institute for Cancer Research (2007) Food, nutrition, physical activity, and the prevention of cancer: a global perspective. RR Donnelley, Washington, DCGoogle Scholar
- 8.Roman B, Carta L, Martínez-González MA, Serra-Majem L (2008) Effectiveness of the Mediterranean diet in the elderly. Clin Interv Aging 3:97–109Google Scholar
- 16.Trichopoulou A, Georga K (2004) Composition tables of foods and Greek dishes, 3rd Edn. Parisianou Publications, Athens, GAGoogle Scholar
- 17.Otten JJ, Pitzi Hellwig J, Meyers LD (2006) Dietary reference intakes: the essential guide to nutrient requirements. National Academies Press, Washington, DCGoogle Scholar
- 18.Commission of the European Communities (1993) Reports of the Scientific Committee for Food (31st series). Office for Official Publications of the European Communities, LuxembourgGoogle Scholar
- 20.European Parliament and Council (2007) Regulation (EC) No. 1924/2006 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 20 December 2006 on nutrition and health claims made on foods. Official Journal of the European Union OJ L 404, 30 December 2006. Corrigendum OJ L 12 18 January 2007, pp 3–18Google Scholar
- 21.Winichagoon P (2008) Limitations and resolutions for dietary assessment of micronutrient intakes. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 17[Suppl 1]:296–298Google Scholar
- 23.Vasilopoulou E, Georga K, Bjoerkov Joergensen M et al (2005) The antioxidant properties of Greek foods and the flavonoid content of the Mediterranean menu. Curr Med Chem 5:33–45Google Scholar
- 25.Ermidou-Pollet S, Pollet S (2008) The relevance of trace element nutrition in human health. Cell Biol Toxicol 24:359–363Google Scholar