A case of small intestinal neuroendocrine carcinoma diagnosed using double-balloon endoscopy with long-term survival
- 97 Downloads
Neuroendocrine neoplasms, including neuroendocrine tumors (NETs) and neuroendocrine carcinomas (NECs), are rare epithelial tumors with a predominant neuroendocrine differentiation. Compared with NETs, NECs have been reported to be rarer and have a poorer prognosis. We present a rare case of small bowel NEC diagnosed using double-balloon endoscopy (DBE) and the long-term survival accomplished via intensive therapy. DBE revealed an ulcerative tumor in the deep jejunum, and biopsy specimens showed large and highly dysplastic tumor cells; immuno-histological synaptophysin and chromogranin A tests were positive, and the Ki-67 index was more than 90%. Partial intestinal resection without complete lymph node dissection was performed and, postoperatively, chemotherapy was administered. The patient was observed for 3 years after chemotherapy, and complete remission was maintained.
KeywordsNeuroendocrine carcinoma Small intestine Double balloon endosopy
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
Seiji Kawano, Yuichi Miyashima, Yoshio Miyabe, Toshihiro Inokuchi and Hiroyuki Okada declare that they have no conflict of interest.
All procedures followed have been performed in accordance with the ethical standards laid down in the 1964 Declaration of Helsinki and its later amendments..
Informed consent was obtained from all patients for being included in the study.
- 2.Bosman FT, Carneiro F, Hruban RH, et al. WHO classification of tumours of the digestive system. 4th edition. Lyon: International Agency for Research on Cancer; 2010.Google Scholar
- 3.Bosman FT, Carneiro F, Hruban RH, et al. WHO classification of tumours of the digestive system. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization; 2010.Google Scholar
- 4.Current trends of the incidence and pathological diagnosis of gastroenteropancreatic neuroendocrine tumors (GEP-NETs) in Korea 2000–2009: multicenter study. Cancer Res Treat. 2012;44(3):157–165.Google Scholar
- 6.Brierley JD, Gospodarowicz MK, Wittekind C, et al. UICC TNM classification of malignant tumours. Eight Edition. Wiley Blackwell. 2016; 201:99–101.Google Scholar
- 13.National Comprehensive Cancer Network National. Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN) guidelines. Available from URL: www.nccn.org (Ver. 1 2013).