Obese Patients with Type 2 Diabetes on Conventional Versus Intensive Insulin Therapy: Efficacy of Low-Calorie Dietary Intervention
- 317 Downloads
The aim of this prospective study was to assess the results of a standard low-calorie dietary intervention (7.5 MJ/day) on body weight (BW) and the metabolic profile of obese patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) on intensive insulin therapy (IIT: 4 insulin injections/day) versus conventional insulin therapy (CIT: 2/3 insulin injections/day).
A total of 60 patients (n = 60, 23 males and 37 postmenopausal females) were recruited and categorized into two groups according to the scheme of insulin treatment. Thirty were on IIT (13 males and 17 females) and an equal number on CIT (10 males and 20 females). BW, body mass index (BMI), HbA1c, and metabolic parameters were compared at 6 and 12 months after baseline.
Significant reductions were observed in the BW, BMI, HbA1c (p ≤ 0.001 for all) and cholesterol (p ≤ 0.05) at 6 months post-intervention. At 1 year, median BW reduction was 4.5 kg (3.3, 5.8) for patients on IIT and 4.8 kg (3.6, 7.0) for those on CIT. The 12-month dietary intervention increased prevalence of normoglycemia in the IIT group and reduced the prevalence of obesity prevalence among the CIT participants (all p < 0.001). CIT patients with BW reduction ≥5.0% demonstrated 11-fold greater chances of being normoglycemic (odds ratio 11.3, 95% CI 1.1–110.5). BW reduction ≥7.0% was associated with CIT, being overweight, and having normal HDLc, LDLc, and cholesterol levels. A reduction in BW between 5.0% and 6.9% was associated with IIT, normoglycemia, and obesity.
A 12-month 1800-kcal dietary intervention achieved significant BW and HbA1c reductions irrespectively of insulin regimen. CIT was associated with BW reduction greater than 8.0%, whereas IIT was associated with higher rates of normoglycemia.
KeywordsDiet therapy Dietary intervention Insulin Intensive treatment Nutrition Obesity Type 2 diabetes mellitus
No funding or sponsorship was received for this study or publication of this article. All named authors meet the International Committee of Medical Journal Editors (ICMJE) criteria for authorship for this manuscript, take responsibility for the integrity of the work as a whole, and have given final approval for the version to be published.
Dimitrios Baltzis, Maria G. Grammatikopoulou, Nikolaos Papanas, Christina-Maria Trakatelli, Evangelia Kintiraki, Maria N. Hassapidou, and Christos Manes declare no potential conflicts of interest with respect to the research, authorship, and/or publication of this article.
Compliance with Ethics Guidelines
The institutional ethics committee of the Papageorgiou General Hospital approved the study and patients gave their informed consent prior to participation.
- 14.Ray KK, Seshasai SR, Wijesuriya S, Sivakumaran R, Nethercott S, Preiss D, Erqou S, Sattar N. Effect of intensive control of glucose on cardiovascular outcomes and death in patients with diabetes mellitus: a meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials. Lancet. 2009;373:1765–72.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 15.Group AC, Patel A, MacMahon S, Chalmers J, Neal B, Billot L, Woodward M, Marre M, Cooper M, Glasziou P, Grobbee D, Hamet P, Harrap S, Heller S, Liu L, Mancia G, Mogensen CE, Pan C, Poulter N, Rodgers A, Williams B, Bompoint S, de Galan BE, Joshi R, Travert F. Intensive blood glucose control and vascular outcomes in patients with type 2 diabetes. N Engl J Med. 2008;358:2560–72.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.Brownell KD. Dieting readiness. Weight Con Dig. 1990;1:5–10.Google Scholar
- 19.Institute of Medicine. Committee to Develop Criteria for Evaluating the Outcomes of Approaches to Prevent and Treat Obesity. In: Thomas PR, editor. Weighing the Options: Criteria for Evaluating Weight-Management Programs. Washington; 1995Google Scholar
- 23.Institute of Medicine (US). Dietary reference intakes: the essential guide to nutrient requirements. Washington DC: National Academies Press; 2006.Google Scholar
- 26.World Health Organisation. Obesity: preventing and managing the global epidemic. Report of a WHO Consultation, vol. 894. World Health Organ Tech Rep SerGeneva. Switzerland: World Health Organisation; 2000.Google Scholar
- 32.Look ARG, Pi-Sunyer X, Blackburn G, Brancati FL, Bray GA, Bright R, Clark JM, Curtis JM, Espeland MA, Foreyt JP, Graves K, Haffner SM, Harrison B, Hill JO, Horton ES, Jakicic J, Jeffery RW, Johnson KC, Kahn S, Kelley DE, Kitabchi AE, Knowler WC, Lewis CE, Maschak-Carey BJ, Montgomery B, Nathan DM, Patricio J, Peters A, Redmon JB, Reeves RS, Ryan DH, Safford M, Van Dorsten B, Wadden TA, Wagenknecht L, Wesche-Thobaben J, Wing RR, Yanovski SZ. Reduction in weight and cardiovascular disease risk factors in individuals with type 2 diabetes: one-year results of the look AHEAD trial. Diabetes Care. 2007;30:1374–83.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 35.Bohn B, Scheuing N, Jehle PM, Laubner K, Born B, Merger S, Hummel M, Krakow D, Voll A, Zimmermann A, Zimny S, Holl RW, Dpv, initiatives APV, the German BCNDm and Obesity. Are insulin analogues detemir or glulisine used preferentially in overweight/obese subjects? A German multicentre analysis of 38560 type 2 diabetic patients from the DPV registry. Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes. 2014;122:602–7.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 38.Valensi P, Shaban J, Benroubi M, Kawamori R, Borzi V, Shah S, Wenying Y, Prusty V, Hansen JB, Gumprecht J, Panel ISE. Predictors of achieving HbA(1c) <7% and no hypoglycaemia 6 months after initiation of biphasic insulin aspart 30 in patients with type 2 diabetes in the IMPROVE study. Curr Med Res Opin. 2013;29:601–9.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 39.Skyler JS, Bergenstal R, Bonow RO, Buse J, Deedwania P, Gale EA, Howard BV, Kirkman MS, Kosiborod M, Reaven P, Sherwin RS. Intensive glycemic control and the prevention of cardiovascular events: implications of the ACCORD, ADVANCE, and VA diabetes trials: a position statement of the American Diabetes Association and a scientific statement of the American College of Cardiology Foundation and the American Heart Association. Diabetes Care. 2009;32:187–92.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 43.van Dieren S, Czernichow S, Chalmers J, Kengne AP, de Galan BE, Poulter N, Woodward M, Beulens JW, Grobbee DE, van der Schouw YT, Zoungas S. Weight changes and their predictors amongst 11 140 patients with type 2 diabetes in the ADVANCE trial. Diabetes Obes Metab. 2012;14:464–9.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 44.Handelsman Y, Bloomgarden ZT, Grunberger G, Umpierrez G, Zimmerman RS, Bailey TS, Blonde L, Bray GA, Cohen AJ, Dagogo-Jack S, Davidson JA, Einhorn D, Ganda OP, Garber AJ, Garvey WT, Henry RR, Hirsch IB, Horton ES, Hurley DL, Jellinger PS, Jovanovic L, Lebovitz HE, LeRoith D, Levy P, McGill JB, Mechanick JI, Mestman JH, Moghissi ES, Orzeck EA, Pessah-Pollack R, Rosenblit PD, Vinik AI, Wyne K, Zangeneh F. American association of clinical endocrinologists and american college of endocrinology—clinical practice guidelines for developing a diabetes mellitus comprehensive care plan—2015. Endocr Pract. 2015;21(Suppl 1):1–87.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar