Primary dural lymphoblastic B-cell lymphoma: a rare subtype of aggressive dural lymphoma
Lymphomas arising in the dura mater represent a rare subset of primary central nervous system lymphoma (PCNSL). The majority of primary dural lymphoma (PDL) are low-grade marginal zone lymphomas (MZL) characterized by an indolent course and favorable long-term outcomes. Primary aggressive dural lymphomas are exceedingly rare with a paucity of cases reported in the literature. Herein, we describe a case of primary lymphoblastic dural lymphoma. To our knowledge, this is the second report of an isolated dural B-lymphoblastic lymphoma (B-LBL) in an immunocompetent patient.
KeywordsB-lymphoblastic lymphoma Primary CNS lymphoma Dural lymphoma Acute lymphoblastic lymphoma B-ALL
Compliance with ethical standards
All procedures performed were in accordance with the ethical standards of the institutional guidelines and with the 1964 Helsinki declaration and its later amendments or comparable ethical standards.
Informed consent was obtained from the patient included in this case report.
Conflict of interest
Christine Saraceni declares no conflicts of interest. Nicole Agostino declares no conflicts of interest, and Shereen Gheith declares no conflicts of interest.
- 2.Zimmerman HM (1975) Malignant lymphomas of the nervous system. Acta Neuro Pathol Suppl 6:69–74Google Scholar
- 3.Clark AJ, Lee K, Broaddus WC, Martin MJ, Ghatak NR, Grossman CE, Baker S Jr, Baykal A (2010) Primary brain T-cell lymphoma of the lymphoblastic type presenting as altered mental status. Acta Neurochir 152:163–168Google Scholar
- 7.Galarza M, Gazzeri R, Elfeky HA, Johnson RR 2nd (2006) Primary diffuse large B-cell lymphoma of the dura mater and cranial vault. Case report and literature review. Neurosurg Focus 21(5):E10, ReviewGoogle Scholar
- 9.Coleman CN, Picozzi VJ, Cox RS, McWhirter K, Weiss LM, Cohen JR, Yu KP, Rosenberg SA. (1896) Treatment of lymphoblastic lymphoma in adults. JCO 4:1628–1637Google Scholar
- 11.Shi Y, Zhou S, He X, Han X, Wu S, Pan F, Liu P, Liu Y, Lei Y, Zhang H, Yang J, Qin Y, Zhang C, Yang S, Zhao L, Luo K, Wu G, Sun Y, Shi Y (2015) Autologous hematopoietic stem cell transplantation in chemotherapy-sensitive lymphoblastic lymphoma, treatment outcome and prognostic factor analysis. Chin J Cancer Res 27(1):66–73PubMedCentralPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 13.Tao J, Zhang X, Lancet J, Bennett JM, Cai L, Papenhausen P, Moscinski L, Zhang L (2014) Concurrence of B-lymphoblastic leukemia and myeloproliferative neoplasm with copy neutral loss of heterozygosity at chromosome 1p harboring a MPL W515S mutation. Cancer Genet 207(10–12):489–494CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 17.Berget E, Helgeland L, Lehmann AK, Smievoll AI, Vintermyr OK, Mork SJ (2013) Acta. Oncol 52(5):1047–1049Google Scholar
- 18.Said R, Rizk S, Dai Q. Clinical challenges of primary diffuse large B-cell lymphoma of the dura: case report and literature review (2011) ISRN Hematol 2011; 945212. doi: 10.5402/2011/945212. Epub 2011 Apr 27