A model to describe hardening behavior of Zircaloy-4 tube during cold pilgering process
- 181 Downloads
A macroscopic hardening model is proposed to describe the hardening behavior of Zircaloy-4 tube for better modeling of cold pilgering process. The model can describe the deformation under a large strain condition. Model parameters have been obtained from uniaxial tension tests coupled with its corresponding finite element analysis. The difference of force-displacement curve between test and finite element analysis is minimized iteratively through adjusting necking point. In addition, the influence of strain rate and temperature on hardening behavior is also introduced into the hardening model. Finally, the model is utilized for the finite element analysis of cold pilgering process. The predicted results on rolling force and tube dimensions during cold pilgering are compared to experimental ones. The error of rolling force between simulation and experiment is less than 1%. The conical dimension curve (wall thickness/ outer diameter) agrees well with the curves of experimental measurement, which validated the established hardening model.
KeywordsZircaloy-4 Hardening rule with large strain Strain rate Johnson cook model Cold pilgering
The author would like to thank Hengfei Gu, Chengze Liu for the help of experimental work.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declared that they have no conflicts of interest to this work.
- 6.Aubin J L, Girard E, Montmitonnet P (1994) Modeling of damage in cold pilgering. In: Garde AM, Bradley ER (ed) Zirconium in the nuclear industry: tenth international symposium, ASTM STP 1245, American Society for Testing and Materials, Baltimore, 245–263Google Scholar
- 10.Barzegar Y, Jafari Nedoushan R, Razazzade A, Farzin M, Banabic D (2016) Finite element modeling of damage evolution in cold pilgering process. Proceedings of the Romanian Academy series a: mathematics physics technical sciences information. Science 17(3):267–276Google Scholar
- 11.Zhang HQ, Wang XF, Wei BL, Li H (2017) Effect of tooling design on the cold pilgering behavior of zircaloy tube. Int J Adv Manuf Technol 1(15):1–15Google Scholar
- 18.Limbadri KHN, Maruthi Ram A, Saibaba N, Kutumba Rao VV, Murthy JN, Gupta AK, Singh SK (2017) Development of Johnson cook model for Zircaloy-4 with low oxygen content. Mater Today: Proc 4(2, Part A):966–974Google Scholar
- 20.Johnson GR, Cook WH (1983) A constitutive model and data for metals subjected to large strains, high strain rates and high temperatures. Proceedings of the 7th International Symposium on Ballistics. April 19-21, Hague, 541–547Google Scholar